none
kinect for windows n xbox 360 RRS feed

• Question

• Does the "Kinect for Windows SDK" support the "Kinect for XBOX 360" hardware or the sensor? 

I am having a Kinect for XBOX 360 sensor. But I donot have its SDK. So can I use the new SDK to develop applications using the Kinect for XBOX 360 sensor?

- Satya

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:01 PM

All replies

• beta 2 should still be available to use for people for another three - four years and it supports kinect for xbox 360 out of box but near mode and some nice new features with kinect commerical sdk and runtime do not support xbox kinect. if your educational person or going to school wheter online or not kinect did accounce a $150 dollar version of kinect for windows available this fall to qualified users. If you want the xbox kinect to run on windows with commerical sdk you  need the full sdk installed because the kinect runtime v1 does not support xbox kinect.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:17 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:15 PM
  • heres the offical support page for kinect for windows on xbox.com:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/kinect-for-windows/kinect-for-windows-info

Also, here is my guide for best installation and general development practices i made for beginners based off forum posts from the kinect team and off of the posts about matters i saw in the forum (yes it is beta 2 but the same practices apply for installation for commerical sdk except offically the xbox kinect isnt supported with the commerical version but the kinect sdk with allow debugging and apps on local computer to use most functions with an xbox kinect for more help on what can and cannot be used with xbox kinect consult the help guide or use beta 2. Nearmode though is for kinect for windows only):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/d0eeb269-2c3f-4a40-8b65-9d6b8dcae147

In addition i will add to this that the initialization code has changed from beta 2. So you need to select your specific kinect is the biggest change besides nearmode i can think of in commerical sdk from beta 2 so if the channel 9 samples have not been updated to commerical sdk then thats mostly what would need to be done to get them working  with commerical sdk unless your targeting specific functions that can only be used with kinect for windows.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:46 PM
    • Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:49 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:40 PM