Bing Map Geocode returns 500 Internal Server Error when search by a specific Chinese term


  • The application I'm currently developing using Bing Map service. The application targets address in China. The service I used is

    I serched using "南路29号上海上海市". The request body is as below (I captured with Fiddler)


    The response from Bing Map is OK. I got the location that I need.

    However, when I searched with "南路29号上海上海市" (an extra ""), I got 500 Internal Server Error with description as below.

    There was an error generating the XML document. ---> Instance validation error: '191' is not a valid value for Microsoft.VirtualEarth.Engines.Core.Geocoding.PublicTypes.EntityType.

    The request body is as below.


    Are there anybody facing the same issue? I is kind of weird that by adding another character can break the service. Could there any ways to fix this?

    • Edited by varitw Monday, July 01, 2013 1:42 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 10:28 AM


All replies

  • First off I recommend using the Bing Maps REST services as they are significantly faster, more accurate and have more features. Secondly, you appear to be referencing a non-official Bing Maps service. is not a public facing service.

    Monday, July 15, 2013 10:24 AM
  • There have been some unannounced changes to the China geocoding API (seems even Operations is clueless). 

    We encountered changes with the input URL parameter handling, and given the error you've seen (which we've encountered as well) implications that the WSDL itself has changed.

    We've not found any workable solutions as yet.

    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:33 PM
  • There was never an officially released API for China. There was one that was available but it was never supported by Microsoft and has since been removed as the main Bing Maps API should be used.

    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:13 AM