none
Is it possible to write enable the Azure GRS storage in the secondary region?

Question

• Hi There,

Thanks in advance for all your wonderful support,

In our current setup, we are using US SC location as our primary regions and US NC location as our secondary (DR) region for storage and other Azure services.

I understand that Azure GRS storage in secondary region is available only with Microsoft initiated disaster for write access. Is there a way that we can simulate/test from our end to make the secondary region GRS storage writable.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Regards,

Vara

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Vara,

yes - a customer would be able to copy content of the RA-GRS account at any point (including the period during which the primary is not available).

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:44 PM

All replies

• No - that's not supported. You can configure the storage account to be RA-GRS, which provides Read Access in the secondary region during normal business operations.

However, for the secondary to be writable (for both GRS and RA-GRS), Microsoft has to initiate a disaster recovery process

For details, refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-redundancy

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Hi Marcin,

Thanks for the quick answer. Before leaving this discussion, need a little more information.

Can a customer/client team copy RA-GRS storage data in the secondary region to a backup directory/location locally in the secondary (DR) region  during the time while Microsoft is performing the storage recovery from primary to secondary region. Or do I need to wait until recovery (DR initiation) completion?

The reason I'm asking this question is, instead of waiting on MS initiated DR, if a customer chose to copy the data from secondary location to a different directory to get started with his DR recovery when he is using RA-GRS storage which has read capability.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Vara

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:57 PM
  • Hi Vara,

yes - a customer would be able to copy content of the RA-GRS account at any point (including the period during which the primary is not available).

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:44 PM
  • Thanks a ton. I marked it as answered, let me know if you need anything from my end.

Vara

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:44 PM