none
.Net 3.0 without WPF installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently had a handful of support issues where customers have the .Net 3.0 framework installed, but without WPF (which is needed by my application). My installer just checks for the presence of .Net 3.0 and if it is not there, kicks off the install, so this has been a bit awkward to sort out. Under what circumstances can this happen? How can I ensure that all components of the .Net 3.0 Framework are installed?

Regard
    GrantaGuy
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:11 PM

Answers

• My real question is this: Is there an explicit check I can do to see that the WPF component of .Net 3.0 is succesfully installed?

We usually do that by checking the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\Windows Presentation Foundation

And regarding the WPF.msi, yes you can separately uninstall that part on XP, but that's what I rarely see. We can check the existance of the WPF components at install time but the application still should be able to handle the situation that WPF components are later damaged or deleted, prompt the user and exit gracefully.

For more information on detecting the .NET Framework, you might want to refer to this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/11/29/6608419.aspx

Regards,
    Jie
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback, please tell us.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    • Marked as answer by GrantaGuy Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hello GrantaGuy,

.NET Framework 3.0 always comes with WPF components. So what symptoms led to the conclusion of "WPF not installed"?

Besides, what is your users' OS version? On Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 or later, .NET Framework 3.0 is part of the operating system components, you cannot just kick off an installation package because it simply won't install. Instead, you should enable the .NET Framework feature in the Add/Remove Windows Features settings from Control Panel.

It is very hard to figure out what happened without any log files/diagnosis info.

So please provide more information so we can narrow down the problem.

Meanwhile, you may want to check out the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool, it can automatically perform a set of steps to verify the installation state of one or more versions of the .NET Framework on a computer.

Thanks,
    Jie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

The CodeFx Project
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:18 AM
  • It happened under Windows XP Pro. My app uses MFC and WPF, so I initially got a rather unexpected 0xe0434f4d error  - a .Net exception that I cannot find a decent way of reporting using an unhandled exception handler. Trapping the error explicitly gave the message 'Could not load file or assembly WindowsBase, Version 3.0.0.0....'

When I asked them to see if they had .Net 3.0 installed, they said yes but kindly sent a screenshot showing that it was only using 16mb. Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the problem. The thing is I've now had a few of these from various places.

My real question is this: Is there an explicit check I can do to see that the WPF component of .Net 3.0 is succesfully installed?

BTW, this page suggests it is possible to install without WPF. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964979(VS.85).aspx#DeployingAComponentUsingActiveDirectory

I couldn't manage it, but I did manage to run wpf.msi with the /x option to uninstall just WPF from my test machine to give the same resutls...

GrantaGuy

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:42 PM
  • My real question is this: Is there an explicit check I can do to see that the WPF component of .Net 3.0 is succesfully installed?

We usually do that by checking the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Setup\Windows Presentation Foundation

And regarding the WPF.msi, yes you can separately uninstall that part on XP, but that's what I rarely see. We can check the existance of the WPF components at install time but the application still should be able to handle the situation that WPF components are later damaged or deleted, prompt the user and exit gracefully.

For more information on detecting the .NET Framework, you might want to refer to this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/11/29/6608419.aspx

Regards,
    Jie

The CodeFx Project
    • Marked as answer by GrantaGuy Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Thanks Jie,

Yes, I've improved the exception handling to cope with missing components and the application generates a more useful message box and exits. I will add the registry check to the installer, just to be on the safe side too, and instruct the user to reinstall .Net 3.0 if this key does not exist.

Regards

GrantaGuy

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:46 PM