Side by Side installations RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everyone.

I am currently running Team Foundation Server 2005 in a development environment.  It has come time to upgrade to Team Foundation Server 2008, however there are still some projects that cannot be upgraded to Visual Studio 2008 at this time. 

So my question is, has anyone every run side by side installations of Team Foundation Server 2005 and 2008?  If so, are there any interesting behaviors that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:38 PM

Answers

•  

Your projects that are not ready to migrate to the Visual Studio 2008 project format can stay as Visual Studio 2005 projects. Though I am not sure what wouldn't upgrade as you can easily target .NET 2.0 in the 2008 project format and if you were to do a diff on a file before and after the upgrade I think you will see that the change in the project file is quite miniscule.  Also though the version of TFS has nothing to do with the version of you projects. You can run TFS 2005 with VS 2008 or vice versa. 

I'm not sure if you are confusing the server version with the IDE or just interchanging the names. Can you clarify any? Also you may want to check out the KB below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949873

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Chris,

You may also want to check out this compatibility matrix.  Also, Buck Hodges had a post a while back that explains the various compatibilites (and non-compatibilities) between 2005 & 2008.

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:04 PM

All replies

•  

Your projects that are not ready to migrate to the Visual Studio 2008 project format can stay as Visual Studio 2005 projects. Though I am not sure what wouldn't upgrade as you can easily target .NET 2.0 in the 2008 project format and if you were to do a diff on a file before and after the upgrade I think you will see that the change in the project file is quite miniscule.  Also though the version of TFS has nothing to do with the version of you projects. You can run TFS 2005 with VS 2008 or vice versa. 

I'm not sure if you are confusing the server version with the IDE or just interchanging the names. Can you clarify any? Also you may want to check out the KB below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949873

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Chris,

You may also want to check out this compatibility matrix.  Also, Buck Hodges had a post a while back that explains the various compatibilites (and non-compatibilities) between 2005 & 2008.

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:04 PM