Using Windows 7 Video Driver With Windows 8 Previews

Question

• I am using a very old Compaq Presario laptop (like 7-8 years old). It is working fine with Windows 7. The laptop has an ATI Xpress 200M video card and ATI no longer provides drivers for this card. There is a legacy driver package, but I have never been able to get it to work. I had previously installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview and was never really able to get the video driver installed properly. The best I could do was use the generic drivers. Under Windows 7, Windows setup can find a ATI 200M driver fine, but the preview could never locate it from Windows update for some reason. I finally just reinstalled Windows 7.

I guess I am wondering will I have the same experience with the upcoming Consumer Preview? Is there anything I can do with my Windows 7 setup to "save the current drivers" and use them in the Consumer Preview? What I really don't understand is why Windows 7 can find the correct driver, but the Developer (and possibly the Consumer) Preview couldn't. I wonder if the Developer Preview only had a subset of available Windows 7 drivers and pehaps the Consumer Preview will have more drivers?

• Edited by WolfpackFan Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:44 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hello WolfpackFan,

you may try to install the Windows7 ( installed on the same system, on a different drive) display/Video driver using the following steps:       Open the Device Manager, click on Display adapters for the drop down menu for your ATI driver to appear, right-click it and select Update Driver Software, Browse my computer for driver software, Browse...Computer,Windows7, Windows, System32, drivers. The system will search and install the Windows7 display driver from the 'drivers' folder.
    But I don't think it will work for you, since the driver is most probably incompatible with WDP.
    Whats usually recommended is that you download the latest Windows7 compatible driver from your manufacturer's site, right click the downloaded file, select Troubleshoot compatibility, then click at Troubleshoot program, select the box The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now, Next, select Windows7, Next Start the program. Restart your computer.

We have no information about the Consumer Preview, though a Windows8 Beta is expected in a few weeks.

Irfan

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Do I just download the Vista update cab (not sure what the difference is for the two files listed) and install it in Win 8?

WDDM 1.0 drivers work with Windows 8 (I used the Vista driver for my 9500 and it worked fine). 1 driver is 32Bit/x86 and 1 driver is for 64Bit/x64.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hello WolfpackFan,

you may try to install the Windows7 ( installed on the same system, on a different drive) display/Video driver using the following steps:       Open the Device Manager, click on Display adapters for the drop down menu for your ATI driver to appear, right-click it and select Update Driver Software, Browse my computer for driver software, Browse...Computer,Windows7, Windows, System32, drivers. The system will search and install the Windows7 display driver from the 'drivers' folder.
    But I don't think it will work for you, since the driver is most probably incompatible with WDP.
    Whats usually recommended is that you download the latest Windows7 compatible driver from your manufacturer's site, right click the downloaded file, select Troubleshoot compatibility, then click at Troubleshoot program, select the box The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now, Next, select Windows7, Next Start the program. Restart your computer.

We have no information about the Consumer Preview, though a Windows8 Beta is expected in a few weeks.

Irfan

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:14 PM
  • I was able to install the Vista WDDM 1.0 drivers for my mobility Radeon 9500 on my old laptop (also 7 years old), so the Vista drivers will also work (internally the chip uses a Radeon X300).

Use Windows Update catalog to downlaod the driver, expand the cab and use device manager to install them.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:10 AM
  • Thanks Andre.Ziegler, for a very useful link. But can one use Compatibility Troubleshooter in case one is needed, or all the drivers available on the link are the compatible ones only. 

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:02 AM to make clear
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:58 AM
  • I looked at the Windows Update Catalog and did a search for ATI Xpress 200M Video. I found four entries. Two were for XP drivers and then it had 2 other files that said "Vista update". Now I was thinking you couldn't use the XP drivers with Win 8. Do I just download the Vista update cab (not sure what the difference is for the two files listed) and install it in Win 8? I've gone ahead and downloaded the file in anticipation of the Beta and it having the same issues as DP.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Do I just download the Vista update cab (not sure what the difference is for the two files listed) and install it in Win 8?

WDDM 1.0 drivers work with Windows 8 (I used the Vista driver for my 9500 and it worked fine). 1 driver is 32Bit/x86 and 1 driver is for 64Bit/x64.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Thanks loads. I've downloaded the driver and put it on a thumb drive. Hopefully Win 8 Beta will correctly install the driver like Win 7 does, but if not I can install it directly now. I wish I had asked this question before I had uninstalled the Win 8 DP. But it's not that much longer before the Beta comes out. I seem to be one of the few people I talk to that is excited about Win 8.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:28 PM