OData with Entity Framework and Asp.Net RRS feed

• Question

• User-1969622893 posted
    With the WCF Service I was able to extend DataService and it was able translate my context to entities queryable by OData. I want to do the same thing except using an ODataController. Ideally, I'd like to have all of my Entity Sets accessible from one controller. Is this possible? I have a lot of different entities that I want to enable OData for. These entities are categorized into different groups based on their type. Currently, the default is to match the EntitySet with the controller name, but I don't want a controller for every entity type that I'll have. Is there a way I can map multiple EntitySets to one controller.

I've tried having the types I'm interested in implement a common interface and specified that interface as my entity set type. I also tried having two entities within one controller and with their own get requests, but no luck. I also tried defining my own routing class that extends EntitySetRoutingConvention, but haven't gotten that to work.

WebApiConfig
        public static class WebApiConfig
        {
            public static void Register(HttpConfiguration config)
            {
                // Web API configuration and services

ODataConventionModelBuilder builder = new ODataConventionModelBuilder();

builder.EntitySet<MyEntity1>("MyEntity1");
                builder.EntitySet<MyEntity2>("MyEntity2");
                config.Routes.MapODataServiceRoute("odata", "odata", builder.GetEdmModel());
                // Web API routes
                config.MapHttpAttributeRoutes();
            }
        }
    This works for controllers named MyEntity1Controller and MyEntity2Controller. 
    What I want is something like:
        public static class WebApiConfig
        {
            public static void Register(HttpConfiguration config)
            {
                // Web API configuration and services

ODataConventionModelBuilder builder = new ODataConventionModelBuilder();

builder.EntitySet<MyEntity1>("Generic");
                builder.EntitySet<MyEntity2>("Generic"); // Throws an error since Generic is already registered to MyEntity1
                config.Routes.MapODataServiceRoute("odata", "odata", builder.GetEdmModel());
                // Web API routes
                config.MapHttpAttributeRoutes();
            }

GenericController.cs
    // GET: odata/myentity1
            [EnableQuery]
            public IQueryable<MyEntity1> GetMyEntity1()
            {
                return db.MyEntity1.AsQueryable();
            }

// GET: odata/myentity2
            [EnableQuery]
            public IQueryable<myentity2> GetMyEntity2()
            {
                return db.MyEntity2.AsQueryable();
            }
    The expected results would be I can go to myurl/Generic/MyEntity1 and that would hit a GET request in my Generic Controller. I should also be able to perform odata operations such as myurl/Generic/MyEntity1?$select=Id.
    Here are my two other stack overflow questions outlining this for reference: 
    Friday, August 23, 2019 3:08 PM

All replies

• User1724605321 posted

Hi mavendano ,

AFAIK , You can't have 2 differnet entities with same name in same EDM model. You have to create two different EDM models and routes  . You might check the RESTier suggested from SO thread.

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Monday, August 26, 2019 2:32 AM