VS 2008 - Initializing Toolbox every time I open Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Each time I start Visual Studio and open a solution or project VS hangs for about 5 minutes and tells me "initializing toolbox".  Once that's done I can open and close solutions and it won't do it again. If I close and re-open Visual Studio it will happen again. 

If I add a custom tab to my toolbox and add controls (the AJAX Toolkit is one I do often), it will show up in the toolbox, but the next time I come into VS, the "initializing toolbox" message come up and that tab and the controls are gone and I have to re-add them.  This has been happening for months. 

My firm has setup synchronization so that my 'my documents' folder synchs with a network folder.  This process is very very very flaky so we try not to store anything in 'my documents' .  I'm wondering if this flakiness within the my documents folder would affect Visual Studio's toolbox and if I can point VS somewhere else to store the custom tabs in the toolbox.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.  This is driving me mad.

If it helps I'm running XP Pro, 3.5 framework, VS 2008 and VS2005 (has the same problem) .

Guy

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

• I had a similar problem.

For me going into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE (or what ever installation path is) and running devenv.exe directly fixed it after going through the "Setting up Visual Studio for the first time" stuff again. Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:45 AM
  •  

Hi, GuyBloomfields,

As far as I know, when AJAX Toolkit is installed, the control entities (dll files) are stored in somewhere like C:\Documents and Settings\users\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\, then their references are added into Visual Studio’s ToolBox, so the Visual Studio IDE changed.   However, your company has setup synchronization and “My Documents” folder synchs with a network folder.   In my opinion, the AJAX Toolkit controls are gone every time after synchs with the network folder.

My suggestion: Backup your Visual Studio IDE settings and the AJAX Toolkit control entities (dll files )before synching with the network folder. ( “ToolsàImport and Export Settings…àExport selected environment settings”)   Then copy the dll files back to folder they should be before start the Visual Studio.   After Visual Studio is open, import the backup settings . ( “ToolsàImport and Export Settings…àImport selected environment settings”)

Kind of troublesome, however, I have no idea of some short ways.

For the long time initializing ToolBox, I think it may be caused by some network problem when synching with the network folder.   Or you could try to close “Animate Environment Tools”, at “ToolsàOptionsàEnvironment”.

Any more questions, be free to post again, please.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:32 AM

All replies

•  

Hi, GuyBloomfields,

For the Visual Studio ToolBox problem you met with, I think it is something wrong or crash on the Visual Studio settings.   Thus, here are my suggestions:

Menu “ToolsàImport and Export SettingsàReset all settings ” …

Or the run the Visual Studio in command line: devenv /ResetSettings

If the problem still exists, I recommend you to create a new user account of your Windows, then run Visual Studio again, to avoid some crash user profile’s effect. 

Please let me know, whether my suggestions work.   Any more questions, be free to ask again, please.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by e4ch_ Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:57 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2008 9:18 AM
  • Thanks for the response Lingzhi.  Unfortnately that did not resolve the issue. 

Does anyone know if VS stores the toolbox items somewhere on the disk?  If so where?  If it's anwyhere within the My Documents folder I htink that is my issue since that folder is not always available on our systems.  I've gone through the options in VS and directed any references to My Documents to another folder.  That allows me to open sotred solutions, btu the toolbox is still not right.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 1:45 PM
  •  

Hi, GuyBloomfields,

As far as I know, when AJAX Toolkit is installed, the control entities (dll files) are stored in somewhere like C:\Documents and Settings\users\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\, then their references are added into Visual Studio’s ToolBox, so the Visual Studio IDE changed.   However, your company has setup synchronization and “My Documents” folder synchs with a network folder.   In my opinion, the AJAX Toolkit controls are gone every time after synchs with the network folder.

My suggestion: Backup your Visual Studio IDE settings and the AJAX Toolkit control entities (dll files )before synching with the network folder. ( “ToolsàImport and Export Settings…àExport selected environment settings”)   Then copy the dll files back to folder they should be before start the Visual Studio.   After Visual Studio is open, import the backup settings . ( “ToolsàImport and Export Settings…àImport selected environment settings”)

Kind of troublesome, however, I have no idea of some short ways.

For the long time initializing ToolBox, I think it may be caused by some network problem when synching with the network folder.   Or you could try to close “Animate Environment Tools”, at “ToolsàOptionsàEnvironment”.

Any more questions, be free to post again, please.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lingzhi

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:32 AM
  • I had a similar problem.

For me going into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE (or what ever installation path is) and running devenv.exe directly fixed it after going through the "Setting up Visual Studio for the first time" stuff again. Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:45 AM
  • Reset Settings worked for me. Problem solved.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:00 PM
  • I had the same problem this morning when I was about to debug an application.  I launched DbgView.exe and VS2008 crashed.  Everytime I started VS2008, it would hang at "Initializing Toolbox...".

I looked on the net and tried all sorts of things like playing around with the toolbox.tbd file and even reinstalling VS2008.  Still, no luck.

Next step, reboot the computer.  In case of unsaved files, I like to close my applications manually.  As soon as I closed DbgView.exe, VS2008 immediately went back to normal.  Closed VS2008, restarted, and it was immediately available.  What the..  I started DbgView.exe again, and surprise, launching VS2008 was locking it at "Initializing Toolbox".  Checked "Capture Win32" in DbgView and VS2008 loaded.

Conclusion: In my case, having "Capture Win32" unchecked in DbgView prevented VS2008 from loading.  Why?  I don't know!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:48 PM