none
.Net 64 bit application performing slow on Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a .Net (VS 2012) 64 bit application, running on Windows Server 2012, which loads lots of data in memory to work with it for next 24 - 48 hours. As per our design we prefer to load the data upfront by connecting to the Data source. Net memory footprint of the process goes up to 7-8 GB, which is because we replicate the data for 4 independent threads, which represent the parallel clients, so it like 2 GB of Data per client.

Hardware that we are using is having 128 GB of RAM, 4 CPU (24 Core) processor

I was wondering that does the memory footprint will have an impact on the net performance of the process, like speed of execution, processor utilization etc

Even when we have such a good RAM and the net usage never exceed 60%, will there still be swapping of process pages to HD, thus making it slower, when it is continuously used for 48 hours. Is there some server settings or .Net c# code API, that will help us taking care of performance issues occurring due to memory footprint. We can explicitly tell the system that our process needs lots of memory.

Also let me add, that each parallel client spawns multiple Threadpool threads. to complete Sub task, now the average CPU usage of the process is between 50 - 60%, for the good configuration that we are having, does that mean we need to take steps to figure out the Disk IO bottlenecks, that might be impacting performance or a  server setting would help

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi MrinalK,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

Based on my understanding, you are facing performance problem when running your .net 64 bit multiple threads application on windows server 2012.

Generally, performance issues can be caused by the configurations of server, hardware and application design. .Net framework has features to help you manage memory, and what we need to do is disposing objects, closing connections and etc...

To find out what is the problem, I think we can start with profiling the .net program or the system resource usage. The following links give us some options to tuning the performance issues.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff649152.aspx

To save time, I think you can firstly focus on chapter 15~17.

And I believe the following will be helpful for the memory footprint problem:

Inspect and Optimize Your Program's Memory Usage with the .NET Profiler API

Reducing Memory Footprints, Gathering Process Info with MSDNMagProcessMonitor

I suggest you start troubleshooting the performance issues from the resources I provided above, and I do think your troubleshooting results may lead us to different technical specialties. So I will suggest you ask new questions for specific problems in related forums after you get further information.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    Alan Yao
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:27 AM