none
ASP.NET project incompatible?

Question

• I'm running Visual Studio Professional 2013 Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5.

I've just started working on trying to modify existing code in a ASP.NET application but when I load the solution into Visual Studio the solution explorer says "The project is incompatible with the current edition of Visual Studio"

I've tried reinstalling VS, updating, changing the target framework in csproj, but to no avail. The files are there in my local path but just won't show up in the explorer (and hence I can't build the solution..)

How do I fix this?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi SAACI,

>>I've just started working on trying to modify existing code in a ASP.NET application

Which version of Visual Studio is used to create the existing ASP.NET application? Please open the project.csproj file with Notepad to check the "ToolsVersion" and "TargetFrameworkVersion". The values of "ToolsVersion" and "TargetFrameworkVersion" should be ToolsVersion="12.0" and <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.5.1</TargetFrameworkVersion>.

If the project is create by VS2013 and has this problem, please try create a new project and then remove all files to the new project one by one.

If the project is created by other version of Visual Studio, please try to modify the ToolsVersion to 12.0 and then open it with Visual Studio 2013. But if it is created by higher version of Visual Studio, you need to confirm that it don't use any new features in higher version Visual Studio before you modify the Value of ToolsVersion.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:38 AM