none
Filter per activity for resources who are included in more than one group RRS feed

• Question

• Have several resources who participates in 3 Groups (Design, Assembly, and testing) Would like to somehow filter or Group in a Way so a report can be viewed only showing the actual work they are doing för the specific Group. I.e. showing their assembly work only. etc.

(All assembly tasks has a taskname which includes "assembly"')

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, December 29, 2014 11:13 PM

Answers

• Anders,

I replied earlier but after reading you post several times I realized that I probably misunderstood what you want. This is what I now understand. You have several resources, each of who may work on various parts of design tasks, assembly tasks, and test tasks. For example, let's say your resources are Joe, Bill & Tom. Joe is assigned to a design and test task, Bill is assigned to an assembly and test test task and Tom is assigned to a design task, an assembly task and a test task (Tom is very versatile). You would like to see a report showing just the assembly tasks and the amount of work each of the three resources is assigned on those tasks.

Assuming the above is a correct interpretation, you will need to employ three processes, some VBA, grouping and filtering.

1. First, designate a custom text field for group identification (e.g. use Task Text1 to enter "design", "assembly", or "test" for each task)

2. In order to use grouping and filtering effectively,  you will need to translate the Task Text1 information to the Assignment Text1 field. To do that, go to the MVP website at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and run the macro in FAQ 37.

3. Now go to the Task Usage view and set up a group with Text1 as the first group by element and Name as the second group by element. Check the box to group assignments and not tasks. Then select "assignment" for field type of the second element (i.e. Name).

4. Apply the group

5. To show only the work hours for each resource in a specific group, autofilter on the desired group. Note, if you do not run the macro to populate the Assignment Text1 field with the Task Text1 field, the filter will yield nothing.

Hope this helps

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:28 AM better understanding
    • Proposed as answer by Julie SheetsModerator Friday, January 2, 2015 4:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Friday, January 2, 2015 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:23 AM
  • Anders,

It looks like you developed your table using the Gantt Chart view. In that view, resources can only be shown as combined Resource Names. That's why I suggested you use the Task Usage view because it breaks down each task assignment (i.e. resource) so you will be able to get individual groups and individual resources.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:02 PM
    Saturday, January 3, 2015 2:12 AM

All replies

• Anders,

I replied earlier but after reading you post several times I realized that I probably misunderstood what you want. This is what I now understand. You have several resources, each of who may work on various parts of design tasks, assembly tasks, and test tasks. For example, let's say your resources are Joe, Bill & Tom. Joe is assigned to a design and test task, Bill is assigned to an assembly and test test task and Tom is assigned to a design task, an assembly task and a test task (Tom is very versatile). You would like to see a report showing just the assembly tasks and the amount of work each of the three resources is assigned on those tasks.

Assuming the above is a correct interpretation, you will need to employ three processes, some VBA, grouping and filtering.

1. First, designate a custom text field for group identification (e.g. use Task Text1 to enter "design", "assembly", or "test" for each task)

2. In order to use grouping and filtering effectively,  you will need to translate the Task Text1 information to the Assignment Text1 field. To do that, go to the MVP website at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and run the macro in FAQ 37.

3. Now go to the Task Usage view and set up a group with Text1 as the first group by element and Name as the second group by element. Check the box to group assignments and not tasks. Then select "assignment" for field type of the second element (i.e. Name).

4. Apply the group

5. To show only the work hours for each resource in a specific group, autofilter on the desired group. Note, if you do not run the macro to populate the Assignment Text1 field with the Task Text1 field, the filter will yield nothing.

Hope this helps

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:28 AM better understanding
    • Proposed as answer by Julie SheetsModerator Friday, January 2, 2015 4:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Friday, January 2, 2015 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:23 AM
  • Hi John! Thanks for a quick, and most probably a very good answer. (Have not been able to try it yet, but from reading the suggested solution it looks promising).

Did not get an email that a response was received, so just found  your answer.

What you are writing is what we are after. We have some very versatile staff, which works across different departments. This is also the same for parts of our electrical department where we have some of the staff, Johan, Chris and Mattias in 4 different groups, “electrical design”, “cabinet assembly”, “internal wiring” and “test run”. So the same goes here, Say that Mattias may only work with internal wiring for the time being, while Johan works with Internal wiring and cabinet assembly and Chris works with all 4 of them.

Want to be able to show how much cabinet assembly work Mattias have, and how much Johan and Chris have. We already have the total work they are doing for all their tasks in a table, but we want to make 4 tables next to them showing the work per activity separated per resource.

Will try and see if the suggested solution will do the job!

Thanks and happy New year!

Kind regards //Anders

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Anders,

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback, and happy new year to you also. Since you indicate I have the correct understanding of what you want to do, the method I outlined will give you the data you want for your report but you'll have to figure out how to create your "tables". If I were doing it, I would export the data to Excel and format it all there.

If this answers your question, please mark my response as the answer. If not, what else do you need?

John

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:37 AM
  • John,

Thanks a lot John, you have been very helpful. Your assistance is much appreciated!

Would like to keep the reports within Project if possible. Are familiar with Excel but are making .pdf exports of several various reports when closing down Project, and we are also working with Project on the screen, live during our planning meetings.

Have almost managed to get the report as wished, it works nearly as it is now with the addition that you need to sum up the work for any resource who works togther with someone else on, it works fine for those how just are working alone on tasks. The below table shows the work for "internal wiring" As for Andreas who makes 274 h, Christoffer 774 and Johan 164 hours below it works fine, however for Jimmy, his time is split and presented for the activites he works alone with, and the ones he works with Jan-Erik as well for the one that he works with Simon. Is there a way to have Project Group per indivivial resource only instead of showing them togehter?

Kind regards //Anders

• Edited by AT_lamnea Friday, January 2, 2015 4:46 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Anders,

It looks like you developed your table using the Gantt Chart view. In that view, resources can only be shown as combined Resource Names. That's why I suggested you use the Task Usage view because it breaks down each task assignment (i.e. resource) so you will be able to get individual groups and individual resources.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:02 PM
    Saturday, January 3, 2015 2:12 AM
  • John,

Still get the same result in the task usage view, as in the Gantt Chart. The Resources still show up as per the above image. First individuallly and the with the other Resources assigned to the task. Any ideas?

Kind regards //Anders

• Edited by AT_lamnea Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:25 PM
    Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Anders,

I'm not sure how you are producing the table but the Task Usage view does not combine assignments (i.e. resources). In fact, the point of the Task Usage view is to show each task's assignments individually. Following the steps I outlined above, each resource will be shown separately. I think the issue is with the table. How exactly are you creating the table you show in your screenshot? (Note, if you are creating the table from a new feature of Project 2013 I won't be able to help with that as I don't have Project 2013).

John

Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:01 AM
  • John,

Are using Project 2013 and the table is created using the report tool, so that could be the reason. Will try to figure out a workaround, and if not possible we would perhaps make an export of the task usage view showing the summary of each task type for each resource.

Thanks for your all your help John!

Kind regards //Anders

Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:02 PM
  • Anders,

Okay. Why not just use the Task Usage view as your report? And yes, exporting to Excel for reporting is always an option but it may not be convenient during your meetings.

John

Monday, January 5, 2015 1:52 AM