none
UK Postcode Locator Resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for any suggestions on resources on the web related to postcode locators within the United Kingdom, the kind of stuff you would see on a webpage which looks something like "to find your nearest dealer, enter your postcode in the box below and hit the search button".

I'm really after resources which show how this kind of searching is done.

Many thanks

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:59 PM

Answers

• You're going to need several things. First would be the full UK postcode database (1.8 million+ postcodes). You may be able to download that free or for a fee from http://www.royalmail.com. Once you have that in hand, your work really begins.

Since you are the only one who knows which of your offices/locations is physically proximate to any given postcode, you will have to set up a separate key/value table which relates postcodes to locations. This will be made easier if, like the US Zip Code system, code number ranges are associated with specific areas.

For example, my Zip Code is 45238-2824. For your purposes, the only part of that that matters is the "452," because all Zip Codes that begin with those three digits are located in Cincinnati. If UK postcodes are similar, you could use the key digits to determine the location of the visitor. You could limit the amount of work by only considering those codes which are within, say, 50 miles of one of your locations. You'll still have a good bit of work to do, but at least you'd be working with a smaller number of codes, instead of the 1.8 million+ you would deal with otherwise. Anyone who is not in one of those locations would get a "Sorry, no office within 50 miles of your location."

In other words, there is no easy, drag and drop solution that I know of. You're going to need databases and programming, which means PHP, ASP.NET, or some other alternative, and some hours spent on your part. There may be services which will do the heavy lifting, for a fee, if you provide them a list of your locations, but I don't actually know of any, or where to find them, or what the fee structure might be. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by eyetranced Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:44 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:06 PM

All replies

• That's not really an Expression Web question.  I'm sure you can google for that as well as anyone else could.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Well, yes and no. I'm using Expression Web 4 to test build a site with this kind of functionality.  And I have already tried a Google search (I always do before posting here) but I may not be phrasing the question to it correctly to get the kind of solutions I'm looking for.  So I thought the good and helpful folks in the EW Community might be able to point me in the right direction from where I can start researching.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:37 PM
  • You're going to need several things. First would be the full UK postcode database (1.8 million+ postcodes). You may be able to download that free or for a fee from http://www.royalmail.com. Once you have that in hand, your work really begins.

Since you are the only one who knows which of your offices/locations is physically proximate to any given postcode, you will have to set up a separate key/value table which relates postcodes to locations. This will be made easier if, like the US Zip Code system, code number ranges are associated with specific areas.

For example, my Zip Code is 45238-2824. For your purposes, the only part of that that matters is the "452," because all Zip Codes that begin with those three digits are located in Cincinnati. If UK postcodes are similar, you could use the key digits to determine the location of the visitor. You could limit the amount of work by only considering those codes which are within, say, 50 miles of one of your locations. You'll still have a good bit of work to do, but at least you'd be working with a smaller number of codes, instead of the 1.8 million+ you would deal with otherwise. Anyone who is not in one of those locations would get a "Sorry, no office within 50 miles of your location."

In other words, there is no easy, drag and drop solution that I know of. You're going to need databases and programming, which means PHP, ASP.NET, or some other alternative, and some hours spent on your part. There may be services which will do the heavy lifting, for a fee, if you provide them a list of your locations, but I don't actually know of any, or where to find them, or what the fee structure might be. Good luck!

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by eyetranced Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:44 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Thanks Scott
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:44 AM