none
ccf 2008 Installation help RRS feed

• Question

• All:

In section 7.7 Multichannel Windows Service Installer:

Step 6: type in the username.... BUT which username? the ASPUser/ CCFAdmin/DemoAgent1/DemoAgent2/DemoAdmin??

I assume it is the ASPUser or does it matter?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:09 PM

All replies

• Its asking for a user account to configure as the user account it will run as.
    This user account needs to have sufficient permissions to allow Network access, and to access a location for log files.
    Logging location is defined in the .config file for the Service.

The Service does not auto-start after install so that you can configure it, and verify that the start process works.  If the account you use does not have the correct permissions, it will fail to start. If it fails to start, you can update the user account in the windows service control manager to a user account that will work.

Also keep in mind that if you are not going to use the MCH Server, you don’t need to start it at all..

MattB-MSFT

Friday, March 14, 2008 11:57 PM
  • I have multiple questions related to CCF server install.

1. In section 6 - Preparing for CCF Installation, it asks to create ASPUSER user account. Is it mandatory to remove ASPNET user, and create this new ASPUSER account ? Can CCF make use of the existing ASPNET account by way of configuration in a right config file ?

2. Do the user accounts DemoAgent1, and DemoAgent2 be necessarily in Active Directory ? Can they be local accounts on the server hosting the CCF server ?

3. Are the steps given in section 6.2 very rigid ? The reason I am this is: it suggests installing IIS towards the end. But in my server environment, IIS is already created.

4. Is it mandatory to promote this host Windows 2003 server (CCF) to be a domain controller ? Is there any alternate config without having to make the server as DC ?

Thanks for help.

~ Subra

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Comments inline...

I have multiple questions related to CCF server install.

1.    In section 6 - Preparing for CCF Installation, it asks to create ASPUSER user account. Is it mandatory to remove ASPNET user, and create this new ASPUSER account ? Can CCF make use of the existing ASPNET account by way of configuration in a right config file ?

>> ASPNET and ASPUSER are two different accounts, ASPUSER is the account that CCF is using to talk to the CCF database and to itself.  The ASPNET user should not be used for this, and you should not remove the ASPNET user.

2.    Do the user accounts DemoAgent1, and DemoAgent2 be necessarily in Active Directory? Can they be local accounts on the server hosting the CCF server?
    >> if you are running a local domain, then the local accounts are domain accounts with the scope of the machine ( so Yes ). If your are running a multi server / client config, or your sever is attached to an external AD platform.. then from a simplicity point of view, it would be easier for you to create the users in the overall domain. This will allow the Kerberos security function properly. If you want to have the accounts local to the machine, you can do that but you will need to alter several things in the WCF security settings on the client and server.

3.    Are the steps given in section 6.2 very rigid ? The reason I am this is: it suggests installing IIS towards the end. But in my server environment, IIS is already created.
    >> No, you can have IIS already installed.

4.    Is it mandatory to promote this host Windows 2003 server (CCF) to be a domain controller? Is there any alternate config without having to make the server as DC?
    >> Yes.. see #2

MattB-MSFT
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:28 PM