none
Request aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

First, some background: I'm maintaining a content filter that was built with C# / .NET 4.6.1 / .NET Standard

I'm currently running into an issue where .NET fails to open a secure channel to a particular website. The URL I'm trying to access with C# is https://portal.worldpay.us

Here's the error I'm getting:

Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetResponseCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.get_Result()
       at InternetTesting.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\users\kent friesen\source\repos\InternetTesting\InternetTesting\Program.cs:line 22
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetResponseCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---<---
    The portal.worldpay.us is encrypted with TLSv1 and an AES-128SHA cipher, according to OpenSSL.

Code which replicates the problem:

class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
            HttpRequestMessage message = new HttpRequestMessage(HttpMethod.Get, "https://portal.worldpay.us");

HttpResponseMessage response = null;

try
            {
                response = client.SendAsync(message).Result;
            }
            catch(Exception ex)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Exception: {0}", ex);
            }

if (response != null)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Response {0}", response.StatusCode);
            }

Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }

At first, I thought it was an Schannel problem, but now I'm not sure, because no Schannel error appears in event viewer, and I am able to access the site with IE11 and Edge just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? I'd be inclined to say there's a bug somewhere in the .NET software stack, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Thanks

Edit: Tested with .NET 4.6.1, 4.7.2 and got the same results. Testing with .NET Core 2.0 worked, but that's not an option for a short-term fix.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:39 PM

All replies