none
Are ADO.NET DataSets dead? RRS feed

• Question

• We used to use ADO.NET DataSets and loved them.  Then Microsoft sold us on LINQ to SQL so we went that direction.  Now I'm told Microsoft is deprecating LINQ to SQL and pushing people to LINQ to Entities.

For new/future development, we must decide on a data access strategy.  We're comfortable with DataSets and realized performance issues with LINQ.  But, we don't want to "go back" and use technology Microsoft will be deprecating soon enough if not already.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi coojbs;

You state, "Now I'm told Microsoft is deprecating LINQ to SQL and pushing people to LINQ to Entities.",  by who or what blog did you hear this? From my understanding it is not going away and I understand that Linq to SQL is now under the development of the Entity Framework team. I have also not found any Microsoft documentation that stating that it will be deprecating Linq to SQL.

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I've not heard anything about DataSets going away, so I'd keep on using them. And, actually, I *do* still use them. ;0)
    ~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

I think either Linq to SQL or EF will not totally replace DataSet at current moment. The reason I think like this is for my personal experience (mean wat I known only), Linq to SQL & EF is very hard to support something like User Defined Field after u roll out ur program (it need to regenerate Linq to SQL & EF after u make any changes on your table structure), so is impossible to let end user to add any new field to table.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Friday, May 6, 2011 7:29 AM

All replies

• One day hehehe, but now a lot of people has old systems that uses dataset :(

Não esqueça de usar o componente </> na barra para posta seu código.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Hi coojbs;

You state, "Now I'm told Microsoft is deprecating LINQ to SQL and pushing people to LINQ to Entities.",  by who or what blog did you hear this? From my understanding it is not going away and I understand that Linq to SQL is now under the development of the Entity Framework team. I have also not found any Microsoft documentation that stating that it will be deprecating Linq to SQL.

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I've not heard anything about DataSets going away, so I'd keep on using them. And, actually, I *do* still use them. ;0)
    ~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Hi coojbs,

According to your post, I think it isn't  a question but a general discussion. I'd recommend you to change the thread's type to discussion and let more community member in it.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 2, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

I think either Linq to SQL or EF will not totally replace DataSet at current moment. The reason I think like this is for my personal experience (mean wat I known only), Linq to SQL & EF is very hard to support something like User Defined Field after u roll out ur program (it need to regenerate Linq to SQL & EF after u make any changes on your table structure), so is impossible to let end user to add any new field to table.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Friday, May 6, 2011 7:29 AM
  • DataSet probably won't get as much love as it got before due to the shift towards ORM (EF) but it will remain with us for a long long time.
    Miha Markic [MVP C#] http://blog.rthand.com
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:11 AM