Tile update when application is not being executed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

My scenario is the following: I have an application with a countdown and I want this countdown to appear in the Tile.

When the applications is activated, it is quite easy to get, but it is quite useless too.

The value for the user would be to maintain this countdown while the application is in background.

As far as I know, I could do configure the application to poll automatically, even when it is on background, for an URL. However the periodic update recurrence value only accepts 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours and 24 hours. In my case I would like to update it every minute, so it is not valid for my scenario.

Another option that I suppose that may work is to create an Azure service that sends those notifications and register to it.

However, I suppose that WNS is not intended to be used like this.

So, the question: what is the finest way to update a tile on short periods when the application is not active?

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards.

Si la respuesta es correcta, por favor márcala como correcta. También puedes votarla como útil si te lo ha sido.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:53 AM

Answers

• As I understand it, that is correct.  The value of updating the tiles while your application is active, is that the tile will have the latest update when your application suspends or terminates.  You could (or probably should) actually update the tile in your application when it detects that it is about to suspend--then with background tasks or push notifications at whatever rates they allow.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• I think for the purposes of battery conservation, your scenario is not possible.  Background tasks with a timer trigger run no more frequently than once every 15 minutes.

It is expected that one would use push notifications for time critical situations but while these would be 'timely' they are not meant to be 'frequent'.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info.

So there is not any mechanism to update the tiles frequently, unless the application is active (but in that case it doesn't make sense to update the tile frequently because the user won't see it)

Am I right?

Si la respuesta es correcta, por favor márcala como correcta. También puedes votarla como útil si te lo ha sido.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:11 PM
  • As I understand it, that is correct.  The value of updating the tiles while your application is active, is that the tile will have the latest update when your application suspends or terminates.  You could (or probably should) actually update the tile in your application when it detects that it is about to suspend--then with background tasks or push notifications at whatever rates they allow.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:54 PM