none
MSDN essentials subscription with VS201Pro grant me access to Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• Will the MSDN essentials subscription provided with VS201Pro grant me access to Windows 8? The adverised description says

"MSDN Essentials is a trial MSDN subscription that gives you access to the latest core Microsoft platforms: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter. "

so are the software versions listed just examples, or will I be eligible to download Windows 8 and Server 2012 when they are released?

Thanks!

Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

• Good question G33kOfTech (nice username!).  Unfortunately, we haven't made any announcements about the availability of the final version of Windows, so I can't confirm what levels it will be available in.   

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:09 PM

All replies

• Good question G33kOfTech (nice username!).  Unfortunately, we haven't made any announcements about the availability of the final version of Windows, so I can't confirm what levels it will be available in.   

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:09 PM
  • As Windows 8 was released to MSDN by now, is there any information available about this question?
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Mike, can you answer my original question now? Thanks a ton ahead of time!
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Dear G33kOfTech,

Windows 8 is already realeased in MSDN, Technet and VLSC Subscribers.  If you don't see Windows 8 in your MSDN Essentials then it is not available with your subscription level.

Please check the below link for the full list of available products by subscription level. According to your subsription level you have access to Windows 8 Core Edition.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/5/4/15454442-CF17-47B9-A65D-DF84EF88511B/Products_by_Benefit_Level.xlsx

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Pratha and G33kofTech,

The best way to find out what subscription levels certain products are in is to browse directly to the file in question on subscriber downloads, and click the details link.  The "products_by_benefit_level.xlsx" file takes so much processing to create, and it contains a few questionable items that can confuse people, and so it contains the large red 'warning' text at the very top that instructs them to, you guessed it, browse directly to any files people are interested in :)

So here's the direct link to Windows 8: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/hh442898#searchTerm=&ProductFamilyId=481&Languages=en&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0 

If you click the 'details' link next to the first file appearing Windows 8 (x86) - DVD English, you'll see, with the item of question highlighted:

VS Premium with MSDN (Retail)
    VS Premium with MSDN (VL)
    VS Pro with MSDN (Retail)
    VS Pro with MSDN (VL)
    VS Test Pro with MSDN (Retail)
    VS Test Pro with MSDN (VL)
    VS Ultimate with MSDN (MPN)
    VS Ultimate with MSDN (NFR FTE)
    VS Ultimate with MSDN (Retail)
    VS Ultimate with MSDN (VL)
    BizSpark
    BizSpark Admin