Change in Web reference from app.config file in Project RRS feed

• Question

• User1327719509 posted

HI,
    My excuse of the subject line if wrong.
    I need you peoples expert advice on one of my project.

Scenario:
    I have ASP.NET 2.0 project which is n-Tier project. In one or many tier (project in same solution as my website) I am using web services and these project are added as references. So the dll comes in my BIN folder of website.
    I have two different web application and web services related to each one of them i.e. one for my testing and another for my live. So when I want deploy my website on testing, I compile my code and deploy on testing web app and if testing is success then I copy my compiled code from testing to live web app.

Problem:
    Now the problem when I change any thing in my project (i.e tier), I need to change web references for that project from development environment, compile it and deploy on testing. If testing is ok then I have to again change the web references for the web service, compile it again and deploy on live.

Needed Solution:
    So my question is; is there any other way to just change in config file and without compile again for live I can move from testing to live.

Note: Though I am using ASP.NET 2.0 version my code gets compiled in backward compatibility i.e. 1.1.

Example:

I will give you example of scenario.
    I have one solution file say SampleSolution in that I have one Business Layer say BLayer as project in solution and one website say SampleWebsite in same solution.
    Now my web service is in Blayer Project. When I add web reference (i.e. web service) of testing environment in this project it creates reference in app.config file. Now when I add reference of this project in my website (i.e. SampleWebsite), DLL of this project (i.e. BLayer.ddl & BLayer.pdb) is add in my BIN folder. While deploying on testing server I will compile the website and publish it and copy these files (i.e. BLayer.ddl & BLayer.pdb) along with other files in website to my testing server. After clearing testing and moving to live server I have change the path of my web reference to live server and compile it (i.e. BLayer) again to deploy on live server again. This is what I don't want to do.
    Is there any way to do it without compiling BLayer again.

Regards,

Fahad.

Friday, July 1, 2011 5:23 AM

Answers

• User1368300014 posted

if ur virtual directory is get different.

u can handle the issue by getting the virtual directory name an picking the right reference from config file.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:54 AM

All replies

• User1368300014 posted

if ur virtual directory is get different.

u can handle the issue by getting the virtual directory name an picking the right reference from config file.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:54 AM
  • User1327719509 posted

My Config file is in Project and when I add reference in my website only DLL files comes from project not dll.config file.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:07 AM
  • User1368300014 posted

as per now it should be a manuall process while deployin it to the live server

Monday, July 4, 2011 1:06 AM