none
3 Basic questions concerning Visual Studio 2015

Question

• I am trying to learn HTML, CSS3 and JavaScript from the book "Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3". This is a training guide for the 70-480 exam but I am running into some differences between the books content and Visual Studio 2015 (the book was originally written for Visual Studio 2012).

There are 3 issues I am trying to solve.

1/3 concerns building windows store apps.

When opening a new file according to the book several references to WinJS should be included in the template. These do not appear in my default.html file.

2/3

When trying to create a web project no default.html page is added to the project. Trying to run it after opening using F5 results in a HTTP Error403.14

3/3 

When opening a new project in blend the book tells me to select to select the HTML (Windows Store) category. I can't seem to find this.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi RH1984,

There is a big difference of installed templates between VS 2012 and VS 2015. Like there is windows store app in VS 2015, there is universal windows instead.

>> 1/3 concerns building windows store apps.

Which specific application did you build and what kind of file were you opening?   Did you create universal windows app under C# template or JavaScript template?  

In vs 2015, I tried to create applications of Universal windows under C#, but there is no default.html file in it. 

In vs 2012, there are several templates under windows store folder, but when I created each of them, I could not find default.html file either.

If what you mean is the WinJS App, I could repro it in my machine.

In my side (I am using VS2015 Enterprise), I could build a WinJS app (Universal Windows) under JavaScript as below:

There is no default.html but index.html instead, the content inside is like this:

>> When trying to create a web project no default.html page is added to the project.

Which web project did you create? There two kinds of them in my JS temples as shown below, or you mean is the web under C#?

I created both, and I found there is index.html in Blank App web:

And I can run it successfully.

Though there is no index.html in Hosted Web App, I still can run it without any error.

>> Trying to run it after opening using F5 results in a HTTP Error403.14

There are several ways for you solve this error, it’s probably related to IIS. You could solve this error by looking up this site:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942062

>> When opening a new project in blend the book tells me to select to select the HTML (Windows Store) category. I can't seem to find this.

If your Blend for VS has no the template of Html, you may need download the project from samples gallery before you create it.

Download link: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/PickaFlick-Blend-for-5db1abe7

You could also refer to this page:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn251477.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Also, I suggest you use the corresponding version of Visual Studio to your book, which will be convenient for you.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:20 AM