The "tile" menu

Question

• What is the correct name for the menu that appears at the bottom when you right-click a tile in the mouse interface, or drag the tile off the bottom of the screen in the touch interface?

I have been calling it the "tile menu".

A couple of observations about it:

1. Why the difference between the mouse and touch implementation? There is no reason the mouse could not drag the tile just as in the touch interface. This is one of many gratuitous differences between the mouse and touch interfaces, which detracts from a uniform Metro experience.

2. Apps that have a double wide appearance have a "Smaller" button that reduces them to single wide. The "Smaller" button remains, but cannot be used to make the tile wide again. In fact I do not find any way to restore the double wide appearance.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 30, 2011 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hey Davewilk,

The bar that appears at the bottom of the Start screen or in a Metro style application is called the App bar.

In regards to the "Smaller" button, you should also see a "Larger" option when you activate the App bar for an icon that has the ability to appear "Larger". Not all tiles have the ability to appear in both the large and small format.

Thank you for your feedback! Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

Steven
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Hey Davewilk,

The bar that appears at the bottom of the Start screen or in a Metro style application is called the App bar.

In regards to the "Smaller" button, you should also see a "Larger" option when you activate the App bar for an icon that has the ability to appear "Larger". Not all tiles have the ability to appear in both the large and small format.
    Hi Steven:

I thought the App bar was the menu that appears when you are actually running the application? What is that called then?

Anyway, I do not see the "Smaller" option change to "Larger" for any of the (initially wide) applications on my Metro screen. It remains as "Smaller" and does not have any effect.

Saturday, October 01, 2011 5:07 PM
  • The bottom bar that appears in Metro style applications is also the App bar.

Let's try refreshing your PC to see if that process allows for you to have both the "Larger" and "Smaller" functionalities in the Start screen. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click/touch Control Panel
    • Select General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click/touch Get started

Then follow the steps presented on the screen.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 1:55 AM
  • The bottom bar that appears in Metro style applications is also the App bar.

Let's try refreshing your PC to see if that process allows for you to have both the "Larger" and "Smaller" functionalities in the Start screen. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Steven:

Thanks, but I do not want to have to reinstall my non-Metro applications.

BTW, using the same name for two different things is confusing. Also, the mouse usage is inconsistent: the "tile bar" is activated by right-click, but the "app bar" is activated by right button down. The latter should be chnaged IMHO, because it is not standard Windows behavior, and precludes using the right mouse button for anything else. For example, swiping could be emulated by right-click followed by moving the mouse off the edge of the screen.
    Is anybody else having this trouble with the "Smaller" button?

Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:54 AM
  • 1. Why the difference between the mouse and touch implementation? There is no reason the mouse could not drag the tile just as in the touch interface. This is one of many gratuitous differences between the mouse and touch interfaces, which detracts from a uniform Metro experience.

2. Apps that have a double wide appearance have a "Smaller" button that reduces them to single wide. The "Smaller" button remains, but cannot be used to make the tile wide again. In fact I do not find any way to restore the double wide appearance.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David,

The Code could be unified.  The choice to do so lies with the Software Eng.'s that are working on the project.  An Easy way to do so would be to use the IE Explorer and HTML 5 to control the interface.  The Malware block for local execution would have to be removed and the firewall parameters fixed to take the place of the block.  At that point, the Metro-GUI could be easily replaced, modified, and maintained just as any web page is handled.  It would also cut overhead and make the OS faster.  

I fear the Double wide Issue also resides with the Software Eng.'s choices.   

The Metro Interface has potential.  I urge anyone who is connected to remember that the More complex you make the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Jerry Babiome
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 12:57 PM