none
Storage - I cannot create objects in the old portal in an existing subscription.

Question

• From Mattias De Smet @MattiasDeSmet via Twitter

I have successfully added an azure pass subscription. I can see it in the old portal. However, I cannot create objects in the old portal in that subscription. I was able to create a Storage account in the new portal on the new subscription, but that one doesn't seem to be available in the old portal. I need it however in the old portal, because this is the only place in which you can create disks based upon a blob.

Sent over DM

Thanks,
    @AzureSupport

Thiene Schmidt

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There are two ways of deploying resources to Azure. Classic/Service Manager or Azure Resource Manager. Azure Resource Manager resources are only available in the new portal. I expect the storage account you created was a resource manager storage account. If you create a classic storage account in the new portal it will appear in the old portal.

Moving forward we should be using Resource Manager wherever possible.

If you let me know a bit more about the disk you are trying to create I might be able to help you do this from your resource manager storage account.

I hope that helps. If this post answers your question I would appreciate if you could mark it as the answer.

Kind Regards,

Marcus

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Hello Marcus,

That can indeed be the problem. I created the new one using Resource Manager, as I read this was the way forward and offers more flexibility.

However, I created it to copy a virtual machine from one subscription to another (Trial to Azure Pass). It wasn't possible to convert/migrate the trial subscription to the azure pass, so the only way was to copy the blob, recreate the disks, recreate the vm based on the disk. And these last operations are not possible in the new portal. If you would have a way around that, that would be great.

Thank you,
    Mattias

Monday, January 11, 2016 6:16 PM
  • Hello,

This would need to be done using PowerShell and "Set-AzureRmVMOSDisk -CreateOption attach ..." as per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt603746.aspx .

I believe this article will probably help you do this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/diegoviso/archive/2015/12/11/migrating-asm-to-arm.aspx

If you have already transferred the VHD look at the PowerShell headed Create a Virtual Machine from an existing OS disk.

I hope that helps. If this post resolves your issue I would appreciate if you could mark it as the answer.

Kind Regards,

Marcus

Monday, January 11, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Hi Mattias,

Can you let me know if the above answered your query. If it has please mark my reply as the answer.

Many thanks,

Marcus
    Monday, January 18, 2016 11:01 AM