none
SyncronousCommands (SC) during oobeSystem will be ignored if previous SC requires a reboot RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I've a proplem with the SynchronousCommand in phase in oobeSystem were I want to execute several commands. Some of them requires a reboot before I can contiune with the next one. I've observed that if one SyncronousCommand requires a reboot than at least the next command in the Queue will be ignored. Did some one have seen this too and may have a solution for me ?

The reboots between several SyncronousCommands are required because I observed that if I don't I have later problems with the corresponding components . 

The following example code snip shall illustrate the issue:
    - step #1 doens't require a reboot and proceed with step #2
    - step #3 will be ignored and Setup continous with step #4

<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add"> <CommandLine>%SystemDrive%\data\InitialSetupSteps.cmd --noreboot</CommandLine> <Description>Perform initial Setup Steps</Description> <Order>1</Order> <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput> </SynchronousCommand> <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add"> <CommandLine>%SystemRoot%\data\graphics\setup.exe</CommandLine> <Description>Install Graphics Card driver</Description> <Order>2</Order> <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput> </SynchronousCommand> <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add"> <CommandLine>%SystemRoot%\data\drivers\framegrabber\setup.exe</CommandLine> <Description>Install FrameGrabber Card driver</Description> <Order>3</Order> <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput> </SynchronousCommand> <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
      <CommandLine>%SystemRoot%\data\sw\directx\installdirectx.cmd --noreboot</CommandLine>
      <Description>Install DirectX components</Description>
      <Order>4</Order>
      <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
    </SynchronousCommand>
    <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add"> <CommandLine>%SystemRoot%\data\sw\runtime\installruntimes.cmd</CommandLine> <Description>Install MS runtime</Description> <Order>5</Order> <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput> </SynchronousCommand>

with regards,
      Dierk

Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Dierk08:

You can run step #3 via "setupcomplete.cmd". The below link and contents are for your reference.

You can add custom scripts to Windows Setup that can be configured to run in different circumstances. You can run a custom script:

• Immediately after Windows Setup completes.
    • If Windows Setup encounters a fatal error.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766314(v=ws.10).aspx

Sunday, March 3, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Hello Bagira520

thanks for the hint but as I understand the documentation correctly the method cannot reboot and continue (see second note: You cannot reboot the system and resume running SetupComplete.cmd).

My code snip (list) above shows only a part of the syncronous commands. In real the list contains at least 12 different commands and I have to reboot 3-4 times in between them depending on the system configuration. Someone might think to combine several scripts in one or using the "RunOnceEx" functionality used during installation of XP in the past but this is not feasible for our Systems and why should I Workaround an easy mechanism. The current scripts are very small and handle only one specific aspect/case. This allows us to reuse the script in different configurations and also for updateing existing Systems. Futhermore they are easier to maintain. 

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Which graphics driver?

I have a whole pile of synchronous things, only the last of which I allow it to reboot.

Before moving them to the out-of-box drivers, I had:

intel graphics, intel ethernet, that horrible ASMedia USB driver, VC runtimes 2008 + 2010 (64/32), and vnc. 

now the intel ones are moved, but none of these actually REQUIRED a reboot...

=^x^=

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:36 PM
  • If you force the reboot, the sync commands should pick up where the reboot occurred.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, April 5, 2013 3:33 PM