none
Migration from WDK6000 to VS2015 RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of migrating from the good old WDK6000 development environment to the brand new Visual Studio 2015. My aim for now is modernising my environment with minimum changes.

My present driver is distributed with KMDF 1.5 coinstaller files. The same driver package installs and functions properly on XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. The installation does not require rebooting.

I compiled the new driver for target "Windows 7" which implies KMDF 1.9. I created a package and tried to install on Windows 10. The installation was carried well and the driver is functional. However, I had to reboot the system.

How do I use Visual Studio 2015 to create a driver that installs on any system without rebooting?

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:00 PM

All replies

• VS or the WDK version has nothing to do with this, the reboot request comes from the OS during install. you need to look in setupapi.dev.log to see why the reboot was required.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 4:30 PM
  • This is really strange:

flq:                          Copying 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vjoy.inf_amd64_b740c31275a44180\hidkmdf.sys' to 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\hidkmdf.sys'.
         flq:                          Copying 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vjoy.inf_amd64_b740c31275a44180\vjoy.sys' to 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys'.
    !    flq:                          MoveFile: 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\SET2AF8.tmp' to 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys' FAILED!
    !    flq:                          Error 5: Access is denied.
         dvi:                          Existing files modified, may need to restart related services.
         sto:                     {Configure Driver Package: exit(0x00000bc3)}
         ndv:                     Restart required for any devices using this driver.
         dvi:                     Install Device: Configuring device (oem0.inf:root\vid_1234&pid_bead&rev_0216,vjoy.Inst.Win7.NT). 20:07:41.713
         dvi:                     Install Device: Configuring device completed. 20:07:41.713
         dvi:                     {Restarting Devices} 20:07:41.729
    !    dvi:                          Driver 'vjoy' required reboot: Driver did not unload.

This time I did not reboot and still the driver functions well.
    I also verified that file 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys' was copied correctly.

So this has probably nothing to do with the KMDF version but if you have an idea why it asked for reboot I'll be happy to learn. Thank you.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 5:29 PM
  • Windows 10 Pro

Actually, it turns out that the driver has installed properly and the request to reboot was unneeded. So it seems to do with the installer rather than the driver.

Friday, September 25, 2015 4:04 AM