none
Kinect for Windows V2 vs. Kinect for Xbox One + the Kinect Adapter for Windows RRS feed

• Question

• I own a Kinect for Windows V2 sensor, but they are discontinued.

I understand that you can buy the Kinect for Xbox One sensor, along with the the Kinect Adapter for Windows and have basically an identical experience.

But my question is:  what is the physical difference between the Kinect for Windows V2 sensor that I have and the Kinect for Xbox One sensor that future customers would buy?  And what physically does the Kinect Adapter for Windows adapter do?  Is it just because there are different cable connectors?  My Kinect for Windows V2 sensor already has a jumble of cable adapters, so I just want to know what the physical difference is.  I understand they're functionally identical, so I'm wondering what *is* different.

Maybe it would help if someone could show me a picture of each so I can see the different connectors -- if they are indeed different.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:11 PM

Answers

• Physical difference between the two is that Kinect for Windows v2 is missing Xbox logo on the right side of the sensor.

Currently sold Kinect for Xbox One can be used with both computer and Xbox One consoles - original "fat" console without adapter and Slim console with the same adapter that you would use for connecting it to your PC (see usage on console single adapter for both PC and Xbox One S )

Adapter is the same one as the one you know from your "original" K4W v2 Sensor + adapter package. In short: experience is the same (sans the Xbox logo :) )

• Edited by Jan Marcincin Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wyck Friday, January 6, 2017 5:34 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:28 PM

All replies

• I'm no expert on this topic but I'm going to guess the hardware is substantially better and has been upgraded to suit. As for the adaptor? More than likely just for the different connections - but don't quote me on that until someone better comes along and either confirms or corrects it.
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:10 PM
  • Physical difference between the two is that Kinect for Windows v2 is missing Xbox logo on the right side of the sensor.

Currently sold Kinect for Xbox One can be used with both computer and Xbox One consoles - original "fat" console without adapter and Slim console with the same adapter that you would use for connecting it to your PC (see usage on console single adapter for both PC and Xbox One S )

Adapter is the same one as the one you know from your "original" K4W v2 Sensor + adapter package. In short: experience is the same (sans the Xbox logo :) )

• Edited by Jan Marcincin Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wyck Friday, January 6, 2017 5:34 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:28 PM
  • But can we use our K4Wv2 on a Xbox One or One S? I'm debating buying an Xbox and I really don't want to buy ANOTHER Kinect ya know :)
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:01 AM