none
Corrupted/lost files in a folders (Win 8.1)!!! RRS feed

• Question

• A complex quiz for users community. Something wrong has occurred, a disaster, to my laptop Asus X751 - for no visual reason, all the files/documents in the Documents folder, as well as in the Downloads folder, have completely disappeared, vanished !... Enigma, what might be probable cause for such a drastic elimination/ erasing/ destruction of the documents in the folders - installing of a new program Bastyon (might change the file structure?), failure in the OS Windows 8.1 ? (though neither the antivirus nor the CCleaner showed any signs of errata), some errors [suspicious activity] on the Hard Drive ?, or an attack (intrusion) by a hacker or else ?...

All the working files have disappeared dramatically, instantly, while no file recovery program could restore them, just some remnants...

So far, no one could comprehensibly answer this riddle yet...

I suspect, the reason might be in accumulated errors on the hard drive which haven't been checked for a long time (few months ago I replaced the HDD with the SSD), and the checkup reported a "suspicious activity on the hard drive" as well as some "inacceptable long file names"...

Would be obliged to know any reasons for the corrupted/lost files in PC folders :)

Sunday, November 6, 2022 9:59 AM

All replies

• I had a similar story just two days ago. Did you find the answer? If you can help, I'd be glad too - I've looked through all the forums and there's nothing new...
    Sunday, November 6, 2022 9:46 PM
  • Right-click the file or folder, and then select Restore previous versions. You'll see a list of available previous versions of the file or folder. The list will include files saved on a backup (if you're using Windows Backup to back up your files) as well as restore points, if both types are available.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Monday, November 7, 2022 9:57 AM
  • Yesterday, I had a similar experience. Found it? If you can help, I'd be grateful; I've searched the forums and found nothing.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2022 2:33 AM
  • Hi. Have you been able to solve the problem? Please help with the solution, I have the same issue
    Friday, November 18, 2022 8:53 AM
  • Similarly, I encountered the same issue a few days before after upgrading my system from Windows 10 to Win 11. The tasks which I have done, first I removed the temporary account and enabled the administrator account method. After doing these methods, the problem got solved. So you can apply these solutions, if there is any problem, can follow up on this article https://silicophilic.com/recover-lost-files-after-windows-11-update/ that might help to recover the lost files. Cheers!
    Thursday, November 24, 2022 8:26 AM
  • I just had the same problem on my backup computer. Thanks for the effective solutions.
    Thursday, November 24, 2022 4:40 PM
  • Select Restore earlier versions by selecting the file or folder with the right click menu. You'll see a list of the file's or folder's previously accessible versions. If you use Windows Backup to back up your files, the list will include both restoration points and files saved on backups, if both types are available.

Regards,

AQIB

Thursday, December 1, 2022 5:13 AM