none
MS SQL Server custome Instance via Visual Basic Code RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I need to discuss this topic with you. Is it possible to create a custom Instance with Visual Basic code Normally when publishing an application  we set SQL server in the prerequisite so it install MS SQL server automatically but it installed with default setting including the name (SQLEXPRESS) for example, I can handle that and change what i need later but what about the name it self or what if the end user had another SQL Server or the Same but with different Connection settings like the user and the password.

Normally on the default setting  we can connect to that instance and create our Database and setup all our desired settings, but if -like i said earlier- we could not have access to the current instance what is the options.

I search lot and all the result i found was  creating Database and setting on an existing SQL Instance.

What do you think about that? And what is the other options we have?

Thank you.

Monday, March 16, 2020 2:33 AM

All replies

• I need to discuss this topic with you. Is it possible to create a custom Instance with Visual Basic code Normally when publishing an application  we set SQL server in the prerequisite so it install MS SQL server automatically but it installed with default setting including the name (SQLEXPRESS) for example,

MS SQL Server Express can  be installed on the Windows workstation O/S, which must be done through its installation software. And no,  VB code cannot make an instance of MS SQL Server Express or the Server version. Maybe, you can give a differnt name other than SQLEXPRESS, but that would be done during the installation of MS SQL Server Express. But I doubt that it can be done even during installation. Or I have never attempted to do that. It kind of doesn't make sense.

I can handle that and change what i need later but what about the name it self or what if the end user had another SQL Server or the Same but with different Connection settings like the user and the password.

I don't think two MS SQL Server server versions can be on the same Windows Server O/S  nor can two MS SQL Server Express versions be on the same Windows Workstation O/S. I think that the installation sofware will detect that an instance is running and stop the installation.

Each MS SQL Server version Express or Server can host multiple databases, each database does its own autentication using Windows authentication or  User-id and password authentication.

The MS SQL Server Express LocalDB can service multiple standalone MDF files that can use the two autentications that hav been explained.

Normally on the default setting  we can connect to that instance and create our Database and setup all our desired settings, but if -like i said earlier- we could not have access to the current instance what is the options.

You're out of luck,  and maybe, you need to use SQLite in this situation,  MySQL or one of the other databases.

I search lot and all the result i found was  creating Database and setting on an existing SQL Instance.

It's probably how MS SQL Server works. It makes sense. 

What do you think about that? And what is the other options we have?

SQLite, Oracle Express, MySQL,  Access, etc., etc.

Monday, March 16, 2020 6:19 AM