none
Can't renew visual studio community

Question

• A few days ago i opened visual studio to be met with a pop up that notified me that my license for visual studio community 2015 is expired, i have tried logging in and out and searching for options on the microsoft website with no luck, if anyone knows how to renew the license i would very much appreciate it if you would hepl
    Monday, March 21, 2016 9:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tshephang ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Firstly, If your IE edition is old, please update it to IE 11.

The Visual Studio Community Edition is free, but you have to sign into your Microsoft account to use it more than 30 days

You still need to sign in visual studio 2015 community so that we could use it permanently.

Go to "https://account.microsoft.com/about" and sign up for an account. It's free. When you complete the process, you can sign into Visual Studio using the same email address.

Then please go to Help -> Register Product, and then sign in with your account.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:18 AM
  • Thanks for the input lake, however visual studio still is expired, i made about 3 accounts now and logged into visual studio, it allows me to login, but the pop up still says its expired and i cant click on anything on the screen with the popup still visible.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi Tshephang,

>>but the pop up still says its expired and i cant click on anything on the screen

To better understanding the problem of this issue, please provide us a screenshot.

By the way, please click the "Check for an updated license" in the account setting page.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:58 AM
  • here is the screenshot

Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:28 PM
  • right click on image and save it if its unclear

Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi Tshephang,

According to your screenshot, I can't confirm whether your Visual Studio is Community version or not. Please check it from Help menu -> About Microsoft Visual Studio to check whether your Visual Studio is Community RTM version first.

Then please try repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio Community 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, please check whether you have installed the Update 1 for your Visual Studio Community 2015. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49989

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 25, 2016 6:57 AM
  • The update worked, after updating i signed in and my license was renewed thank you very much for the input :)
    Friday, March 25, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Hi Tshephang,

Glad to hear you have solved your problem.

if possible, please mark the reply as the answer which is helpful, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, March 28, 2016 12:45 AM