none
Generating an executable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I would like to use an executable from a windows form application and run it on a PL which doesn't have the .net 4 environment. Is this possible..?

At the moment when I run the .exe - the program informs me that I need to get the .net 4 environmnet installed. I rally don't want to do this if possible because the machine is one of a number on a local network which is not connected to the outside world.

MW

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:17 AM

Answers

• First, Windows XP did not include any .NET Frameworks, so the system owner would have to install whatever version you target. That said, the framework version most likely to have been installed (to support other programs) would be 2.0 IMO.

I don't have the Express editions installed, but go to the Project menu, then select <your project name> Properties.

In the Properties dialog you may see the framework dropdown list, but if not, try the Build tab to look for a dropdown list of framework versions to target.

Note that the list will only show versions you have installed on your dev system. In VS 2010 the possibilities are 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:20 PM

All replies

• If you are using VB or C#, the answer is no. You can target a different .NET Framework version if you are using VS 2010, such as 3.5, that comes as part of Windows 7 and Windows 8. If the target machines have Windows 7, no .NET Framework installation will be required.

You can create a C++ Win 32 project (you cannot use C++ CLI Winform, as this project type is .NET dependent as well) and create the Windows Forms yourself, either with code or MFC to create an executable that does not require a .NET Framework.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

It is a C# program developed under VS 2010 express.

The target machine is running XP - it was loaded with the first version of the application by another SW company around 2009. So I guess it could have an older version of the .NET environmnet.

How do I get the compliler to target a different .NET framework...?

MW

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:33 PM
  • First, Windows XP did not include any .NET Frameworks, so the system owner would have to install whatever version you target. That said, the framework version most likely to have been installed (to support other programs) would be 2.0 IMO.

I don't have the Express editions installed, but go to the Project menu, then select <your project name> Properties.

In the Properties dialog you may see the framework dropdown list, but if not, try the Build tab to look for a dropdown list of framework versions to target.

Note that the list will only show versions you have installed on your dev system. In VS 2010 the possibilities are 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Hi IDB Systems,

How is your issue now?

I'm doing a follow up here.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:33 AM