convert simple strokes to paths RRS feed

• Question

• I've needed this a few times and am confused why I'm unable to do it, and the documentation is vague.

I have created a simple 1px black stroke shape with no fill. I need to create a stroke AROUND that stroke (on both sides). In illustrator, I'd take my stroke and expand it (convert it to a shape) and then stroke that new shape, which would stroke both sides.

Here, "convert stroke to path" is grayed out - and the documentation just says that you cannot apply this to simple paths...

Why not? Very frustrating...

Another way to solve my problem would be to be able to add strokes to strokes somehow - so if i have a 1px stroke, i can add a 1px stroke AROUND that original stroke...but i doubt this can be done either

Multiple use cases, but one is a simple rectangle, and one shape is the border of a country, so very difficult to recreate...

any suggestions?
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• What you can try when using the basic stroke is set 3 pixels for the lower stroke copy  past in front and set the pixel to 1 
    or set the lower to 1 pixel copy paste in front and set the upper to 0,5 here I first converted the object to path 

http://cid-1ea90f0a909b94e1.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/stroke%20to%20path
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Good suggestion, Germain. Another suggestion I can think of is to use the selection tool to select your shape. Hover the mouse on one of the corner adorners. Hold down the CTRL key, then the ALT key, then click and drag the adorner outward. This creates a copy of your shape automatically and lets you resize the copy outward.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:58 PM