[VS2008] Designer works just sometimes without apparent reason RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of user controls, when I open them in the VS 2008 designer, it writes:

Instances of this error (1) 

1.   Hide Call Stack

at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.EnsureDocument(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
    at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload) 

This sometimes works and designer shows control:

- close VS 2008

- delete suo

- clean solution

- rebuild

- restart machine

It has no apparent reason for fail. UserControl1 is just UserControl without any additional methods (yet) and UserControl2 : UserControl1 fails. I am completely lost.

As soon as it works again, the only thing to break it again is to run application, then it goes crazy again.

"The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in the file: PageInitialInfo --- The base class 'Namespace.PageBase' could not be loaded. Ensure the assembly has been referenced and that all projects have been built."

This error statement is simply not true.

• Edited by Jirka_ Monday, January 30, 2012 2:17 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:04 PM

All replies

• Is this WPF or Windows Forms or something entirely different? The code in the callstack above does not belong to the WPF designer, which is what this particular forum is about.
    Marco Goertz \ Sr. Dev Lead \ WPF/SL Designer \ Expression-Cider \ Microsoft
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:14 PM