Visual Studio Community Edition 2019 Licensing Model RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can VS CE 2019 be installed on a laptop/desktop connected to a corporate network with strength > 250 engineers? I see some issues as listed below.

1. The license differentiates between Individual and Enterprise. What is the scope of an Individual? If an engineer belongs to the Organization but working on a hobby project or app, then still he will be treated as an individual? Will he be individual when he is off office hours? How this will be interpreted in modern-day relaxed definitions of office-hours, locations, and machines (say laptops).  Will he cease to exist to be an individual from all of these scenarios? Is it the intention behind VS CE?
    2. Next are the five exemptions are given to (Open Source, Class Room, etc.,).  These are meant for only Enterprise applications, I guess.
      1. Note the sentence (from license doc)
        1.  "If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications"
      2. An implication of above sentence is that your employees and contractors  may <del>not</del> use the software to develop or test applications that are not yours (i.e., non-enterprise applications or personal hobby/educational applications of individual engineers)

I request you to clarify whether VS-CE can be installed on a laptop/desktop or not when it is connected to a corporate network > 250 engineers.

Thanks

RaviJ.

Monday, September 7, 2020 9:35 AM