Blob Storage, Azure SQL PaaS and SAS Keys RRS feed

• Question

• All,

While scripting  BULK INSERT statements that access files stored in ADLS Gen V2 (Blob), I used SAS key in Azure SQL PaaS.

<<CREATE DATABASE SCOPED CREDENTIAL credential_name WITH IDENTITY = 'identity_name', SECRET = 'secret'>>.

<<To import a file from Azure Blob storage using share key, the identity name must be SHARED ACCESS SIGNATURE>>

To access files on "ADLS Gen V2 Blob"  in Azure SQL PaaS,  are SAS keys the only way? How about using Azure Active Directory or some other mechanism? I have quite a few developers which means I will have to pass the SAS key to all the developers?

Shouldn't they be able to access the files using AAD just as how they are accessing it via Azure Storage Explorer? Can someone point me in the correct direction.

Thanks,

rgn

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 4:28 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Unfortunately as of now, only SAS keys are supported for authentication from within Azure SQL PaaS. 

I would recommend you to provide feedback at the feedback forum. All the feedback you share, is closely monitored by the Data Factory Product team and implemented in future releases.

Also, Regarding service general availability, I would suggest to keep an eye on Azure updates

Azure updates provide information about important Azure product updates, roadmap, and announcements.

• Marked as answer by grajee Tuesday, March 10, 2020 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:07 AM