none
Access Connectivity Engine registry settings (MaxScanRows, TypeGuessRows, ImportMixedTypes, etc) reinitialized after windows update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an application that uses ACE and requires specific registry settings to work properly. For example we need to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines\Excel\TypeGuessRows from the default value to 0.

I am finding that after a Windows update these settings sometimes revert back to their default settings, causing our application to stop working. This past weekend it happened to 1 server but not to another.

Does anybody know why this is happening and why it seems to happen randomly? Does it only happen when ACE components are updated? I am thinking of writing a check at the beginning of our application startup. The service does not (and should not) have enough privileges to change registry settings, but it can still check and shut itselft down. Seems pretty hokey. Any better solutions?

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• If this value is being changed by an update then it sounds like a bug in the update process. Perhaps you need to create a script that runs at Windows startup to insure that TypeGuessRows is set correctly. It will likely need to run with elevated permissions.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Robert Tjia Friday, December 21, 2012 5:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:51 PM

All replies

• You are talking about a setting from Excel's ODBC driver, not from ACE or ADO.net. I don't think you can get the driver's version from ACE.

As your program requires a global setting that could be changed by others, I suggest you to consider using RegOverridePredefKey to provide a process-wide registry redirection for the said registry key. Of course you probably risk a future compatibility problem with Excel's ODBC driver if it changes where and how it stores settings.

Windows Update is more of an IT pro topic, you probably would get more help at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/excel/threads for checking if a particular Excel update is involved and notify Microsoft to fix the update if possible.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:46 PM
  • If this value is being changed by an update then it sounds like a bug in the update process. Perhaps you need to create a script that runs at Windows startup to insure that TypeGuessRows is set correctly. It will likely need to run with elevated permissions.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Robert Tjia Friday, December 21, 2012 5:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Setting these registry keys is part of our documented server build process. We went with Paul's suggestion as it was the most appropriate for our situation - a configuration checker/fixer that runs as a startup job. We set our services to a delayed start to ensure that job has a chance to complete.

Friday, December 21, 2012 5:28 PM