Pull name from person or group field RRS feed

• Question

• I have created request forms in SharePoint 2007 (WSS) which allow a person to select one or more person in a person or group field to receive the access. After the form is created, I have a workflow created in SharePoint Designer 2007 which generates an email with the information selected on the form. The issue I'm encountering is that while the person or group field is set to show name with presence, which works fine when viewing the item in SharePoint, what it passes through to the email is domain\username. I have been unable to find a way to either make the field pass the name(s) to the email or otherwise pass the name(s) to another field that is then used in the generated email. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:42 PM

Answers

• The issue I'm encountering is that while the person or group field is set to show name with presence, which works fine when viewing the item in SharePoint, what it passes through to the email is domain\username. I have been unable to find a way to either make the field pass the name(s) to the email or otherwise pass the name(s) to another field that is then used in the generated email. Any suggestions?

In your workflow that field will always return values as "domain\username". When viewing the list items in browser, sharepoint takes care of display properties dynamically based on your settings of that field.

Unfortunately, you can't use calculated column either to copy the displayed value to another field so that you could use it. I thought I had seen some third party tool that can take care of this for you, but can't find it right now. Someone else might post a link here if they know of any tools. Otherwise, your last option will probably be creating/coding the workflow using visual studio.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:52 PM