Unique device identifier (uuid) before enrollment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does there exist a way to get the Unique Device Id (uuid) or any other identifier for that matter before (Certificate) enrollment?

My use case is that I'd like to check if a device was already enrolled and I cannot find a way to do that, because I don't know what to base that criteria on. We only get the (uuid) after the workspace setup is complete.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Edited by P.G.Petrov Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:05 PM

Answers

• Just to come back on this one.

I wasn't able to solve this issue, but as far as I saw in the upcoming (still unofficial) Windows Phone MDM 10 documentation draft, the pre-enrollment step will be extended and the SOAP request sent by the device will also send additional parameter like the device Id. This would be a solution for us.

• Marked as answer by P.G.Petrov Friday, October 2, 2015 2:53 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:03 PM

All replies

• The closest thing I can think of is to get the MAC address from the network packet but this is not guaranteed to be unique...

How would knowing the device change your servers enrollment behavior?

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:16 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I'll have a look on that, although I'm not sure whether the MAC would really help.

We are using Federated auth policy with a WAB that implements some specific authentication routines like unique token generation, verification, etc. What we basically want to do is to show a notification to the user during the WAB step, if a device has already been enrolled or not. Also we have a case where we don't want certain previously enrolled devices to be enrolled again. There's no problem to post a query to our SyncML server, but we have no way of knowing which device is sending that query.

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:23 AM
  • Just to come back on this one.

I wasn't able to solve this issue, but as far as I saw in the upcoming (still unofficial) Windows Phone MDM 10 documentation draft, the pre-enrollment step will be extended and the SOAP request sent by the device will also send additional parameter like the device Id. This would be a solution for us.

• Marked as answer by P.G.Petrov Friday, October 2, 2015 2:53 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:03 PM