Move passwords from 2000 to 2008 KB 246133 not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed KB 246133. The users come over fine, but not the passwords. I've read how mixed case passwords could be all upper case. This still does not allow me to log in. I've tested multiple users who only had lower case passwords, but nothing seems to work. The method 2 SQL runs fine on both the old and new servers. I've even tried to go to 2005 first, but had the same login failure with state showing it's a password problem. If I reset the password, the login works fine. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:38 PM

All replies

• Hi glasseigne,

As stated by 246133 KB article:

1. if the sort order of the source server is case-insensitive and the sort order of the destination server is case-sensitive, you must enter all alphabetical characters in passwords as uppercase characters after the transfer of logins to the destination server.
    2. If the sort order of the source server is case-sensitive and the sort order of the destination server is case-insensitive, you will not be able to log in with the logins transferred using the procedure outlined in this article, unless the original password contains no alphabetical characters or unless all alphabetical characters in the original password are uppercase characters.
    3. If both servers are case-sensitive or both servers are case-insensitive, you will not experience this problem.

>> I've read how mixed case passwords could be all upper case.
    According to your description, could you please check the sort orders on both source server and destination server? Assuming that you are under the second scenario of above, you cannot login into the SQL Server if the password contains alphabetical characters which are not all uppercase.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Stephanie,

Using sp_helpsort, both are showing case-insensitive. Is there something else to try?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:24 PM