none
Why it installed visual c++ 2012 redistributable package while installing visual studio professional 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• When I was installing visual studio professional 2013 with update 5 by web installer en_visual_studio_professional_2013_with_update_5_x86_web_installer_6815765.exe, it installed visual c++ 2012 redistributable package

(Web installer link: https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=visual%20studio%202013&wt.mc_id=o~msft~vscom~older-downloads)

As I know visual studio professional 2013 should use visual c++ 2013 redistributable package as run time, right? 

(visual c++ 2013 redistributable package link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784)

My question is why visual studio professional 2013 with update 5 requires visual c++ 2012 redistributable package here?

Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• As I know visual studio professional 2013 should use visual c++ 2013 redistributable package as run time, right?

Not necessarily. Visual Studio is made up of a lot of components and frankly it may have been not worth the effort to rebuild some of the older components to use the 2013 runtime if they didn't need to.

This is especially true since I think Visual Studio 2013 comes with tools to target Windows 8 then it would be easier to just reuse the Visual Studio 2012 components.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Hi Sherman Liu,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

In my view, one assumption that depends on the multiple version of DLL that called in project. It's entirely possible to have DLLs built with multiple runtime versions all load in the same process and work correctly.

when you install Visual Studio, VC++ runtime libraries get installed automatically. These runtime libraries are various .dll files such as msvcr110.dll, msvcp110.dll that are copied to system32 folder which you can find in your C drive in windows directory.

Each version of Visual Studio, such as Visual Studio 2015 or Visual Studio 2013 is shipped with a separate version of Visual C++ Redistributable package. The version you need to install depends on the version of visual studio used to develop the software. for example, in VS 2019, there are a multiple of alternative VC++ package version can be installed by custom choose,

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, May 17, 2019 9:05 AM