none
Word doc reading from DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I very new to word COM coding and would like some advice from you guys:

(by way if this is not the correct forum please point me to correct one, fanx)

I am writing a VS 2010 application what the appi should do in essence is when open for first time it will open a document that read from a SQL db - let say there is text in theis document that says "hello".

Then upon closing this document I open another document and then this one document read two other values from SQL db and the doc says eg Hello world

Hope this makes sense - i amtrying to achieve an application where document and whhat they contain can be read and saved to a SQL db.

Fanx :)

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Geo

The scenario you describe isn't making any sense to me, no. But...

<<i amtrying to achieve an application where document and whhat they contain can be read and saved to a SQL db.>>

You mention the version of VS but neglect to specify the version of Word involved. That makes a big difference what might be available to you in this regard.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by darthGeo Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:58 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Geo

The scenario you describe isn't making any sense to me, no. But...

<<i amtrying to achieve an application where document and whhat they contain can be read and saved to a SQL db.>>

You mention the version of VS but neglect to specify the version of Word involved. That makes a big difference what might be available to you in this regard.

• Marked as answer by darthGeo Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:58 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Hello,

Like Cindy said, the description lacks some details that makes it impossible to give a clear answer.

There are some properties that could help you store the whole document in a db, but there are also some properties that could help you store just the text of the document. Storing just  the text could facilitate the acces to the values that you describe as being the essential part of your process.

Have a look at the Range object from VSTO. By the way are you making an Add-In, or document level applications? Or just using VSTO dlls into another application?

Best regards,

Silviu.

http://www.rosoftlab.net/
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Hi there Cindy

Sorry that didnt explain so well. You have replied to me in a previous post and that explanation answered my question.

Thanks for taking the time.

kind regards

Geo

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Hi Geo

Well, you formulated this question quite differently from the one in the VSTO forum. If we're not talking about dynamic linking of content, but the scenario you describe here, there's more hope :-) But it would depend very much on which version of Word you're targeting.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:10 PM