none
Possible to transcode a file that we don't own? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm a noob both to Azure and media in general. 

An outside company is sending our company video-URLs that we will need to display on a web page for IMMEDIATE playback (ideally) - so at this point there is no option to pre-convert the files overnight. 

These URLs are Azure blob-storage-URIs and we don't seem to have any control over the file formats. They could send us anything at any time.  And we don't have direct access to those Azure storage accounts - all we get is a URL with an SAS token good for 8 hours. 

My big concern is file formats rejected by the browsers (IE, Chrome, and Edge). And they only send us one format per video, as a take-it-or-leave-it. 

In this scenario, is it possible to reliably expect immediate playback in a web browser? I guess what I'm asking is - regarding files that we ourselves don't own - is on-the-fly-transcoding possible? If so, where do I start?   

I'm part of a small Asp.Net MVC development team. I might be able to convince my boss to purchase an Azure Media Services account (if that will do the trick) but he's asking me if there's a way to do this with blob-storage alone.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:32 PM

Answers

• We dont provide a "just in time" JIT transcoding solution in AMS today. The closest you could get is to transcode really fast a "proxy" video and provide that to the customer, and then swap the video with a higher quality encoder when it is ready.   This is essentially what a lot of solutions like Microsoft Stream, YouTube, and Vimeo do today.

1) User uploads a random video
    2) Kick off a fast proxy encode with a single bitrate at lower quality, and at the same time submit an "Adaptive Streaming" encode profile at a higher quality. 

3) When the encode for the proxy is done, Share the proxy URL to CMS system or web site for playback immediately ( should be under a few minutes based on encoder settings and length of video)

4) When the full Adaptive video is done, update the CMS to use that URL instead, and the next viewer that comes to the page will see the higher quality encode.

If you use our new v3 APIs, you can ingest and encode directly from that SAS URL that you have access to. 

• Marked as answer by jal2 Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:55 PM

All replies

• We dont provide a "just in time" JIT transcoding solution in AMS today. The closest you could get is to transcode really fast a "proxy" video and provide that to the customer, and then swap the video with a higher quality encoder when it is ready.   This is essentially what a lot of solutions like Microsoft Stream, YouTube, and Vimeo do today.

1) User uploads a random video
    2) Kick off a fast proxy encode with a single bitrate at lower quality, and at the same time submit an "Adaptive Streaming" encode profile at a higher quality. 

3) When the encode for the proxy is done, Share the proxy URL to CMS system or web site for playback immediately ( should be under a few minutes based on encoder settings and length of video)

4) When the full Adaptive video is done, update the CMS to use that URL instead, and the next viewer that comes to the page will see the higher quality encode.

If you use our new v3 APIs, you can ingest and encode directly from that SAS URL that you have access to. 

• Marked as answer by jal2 Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:55 PM
  • Wow. That's a lot of info. Thanks!

You refer to the 'next viewer that comes to that page.'   Actually in our case only one person (one judge) will see (evaluate) each video.  He will score the video as Pass or Fail and no one else will ever use that URL. 

But you turned on a lightbulb in my mind - I'll try the v3 APIs, maybe they will encode fast enough for our purposes.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:32 AM
  • Couple of other references: OneDrive does offer a JIT transcoding experience, which may work for you if files are only to be viewed by one person.

If you do look into our v3 APIs, please do use the Azure Portal to configure your account to have one or more S3 Media Reserved Units. 

Friday, June 29, 2018 3:03 AM