none
Win8 virtual multitouch hid device. RRS feed

• Question

• Is this statement correct?

"No third-party touch drivers are allowed. Touch digitizer firmware/controller shall be HID compliant and require no additional driver installation. This is specifically referenced in the Device.Digitizer.Touch.HIDCompliantFirmware requirement.  

The digitizer must connect to the system via a USB or I2C bus. These buses support the Human Interface Design Protocol specifically referenced in the Device.Digitizer.Touch.DigitizerConnectsOverUSBOrI2C requirement. "

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh872968

The statement "USB or I2C only" in particular would be problematic for a virtual bus device.

Mark Roddy Windows Driver and OS consultant www.hollistech.com

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• I am pretty sure this statement refers to SoCs, tablets, and laptops where this touch driver is the main source of input.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:34 PM
  • So are you saying this is just a platform logo requirement and not a software restriction in win8?

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:18 PM
  • it is a logo requirement, not sure if the OS itself does some checking to see if you passed the logo or not. the signed blob stuff in the doc seems to indicate there is some OS checking going on, not sure to what extent

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Yeah that is the part that has me convinced that without the firmware whql sig your touch device is not going to work. Is there anyway to confirm this? (Experimentally we seem to have run into this issue.)

Friday, January 4, 2013 2:15 PM