How to replace aspnetdb.mdf to use domain authentication for website or other method? RRS feed

• Question

• User475549662 posted

I have a website where I use the aspnetdb.mdf default sql express for users and membership. I would like to replace this or point my website to use the local domain server here for access (if possible). if not possible what can I do to move or replcwe the aspnetdb.mdf to a SQL database. The reason is that I have two admin users and it is too complicated for them to create new users and assign roles. Mainly because when this is done (WSAT tool) the website becomes inaccessible to all the users and the only way to resolve this is to refresh and close the aspnetdb.mdf database from visual studio to alow users access again. This is complex for my basic website and the admin's who need this acces to create new users and assign them to roles (groups).

I did add a webpage to my site to create a new user but assigning the roles is not part of this.

What can be done?

Thx Laz

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:09 PM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1030595.aspx 

Then for the membership inside your application you don't need to use the database, but depending on your AD, you may need to use your own set of roles for the application, which can reside in the database, or in an xml file or whatever. 

You may also implement other providers that need a data store, as in profile, or personalization.  If you choose to have these use your mdf file, that is completely your business.  Do you need these and if so, where are you going to store that information.  It all depends on what your web application requires.

Ted

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:26 PM