none
Intermittent SQL Server Connection Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having some strange intermittent problems with SQL Server 2005 and a .NET 3.5 ASP.NET application.  The application and the database are hosted on separate machines, and most of the time, they manage to talk to each other just fine.  However, after a period of time under heavy load, the ASP.NET application seems to completely lose the ability to communicate with the database server.  It starts throwing exceptions like "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake" and "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server". These errors persist until I run "iisreset" to restart IIS completely.  Once I do that, everything runs fine again... for a while.  Then the problems return, and the app is basically dead in the water. 

Any ideas?  I've been watching the connection pool since the last time this issue cropped up, but so far I don't see anything that would indicate that we have a connection leak.  I also double and triple-checked the configuration of the database server, and both TCP and Named Pipes are enabled for remote connections (but since the app works fine for a while anyway, that wouldn't seem to be the problem).

One other thing that may be relevant: we started noticing this problem when we upgraded the application to .NET 3.5 from .NET 2.0.  I thought that the core System.Data stuff was unchanged in .NET 3.5, but maybe I'm wrong...  Could anything that's new in .NET 3.5 be causing this?
    Monday, June 16, 2008 6:59 PM

Answers

All replies