Win 8 DP in MDT 2012 ...cannot read <ProductKey> value from unattend.xml error.

Question

• hi there.

tested the install in manual mode and everything went smmoth...win8 installed on first machine just fine.

i am now in the process of integrating this DP in Microsoft Deployment Tools (both 2010 and 2012) and i can't seem to find the right manner of treating the ProductKey. I keep getting the 'couldn't read the <ProductKey> from unattend.xml during setup everytime i run a task Sequence for deploying a Win8 DP machine for our devs...

i have quite a few machine to install, so i was wondering how to make it right.

Any tips welcomed :)

best regards,

Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Recherche poste Consultant/Formateur en region PACA ou IDF
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:36 AM

Answers

• Well, just a quick post to inform you guys that i was wrong :)

I found the answer here:  MDT 2010 Update 1 Trying to Deploy Windows 8 Build and every thing is working find and as excpected with MDT 2010/2012... a big thumbs up to jpatton and the other guys who helped us sort this out, sometime when you're tired it's best to give up for the night!!!Best regards,     Pierre.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    • Marked as answer by Pierre JOUBERT Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:48 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• Remove any values from the <Key> section in Unattend.XML.  It is erroring out on an invalid value.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I can't make MDT 2012 work either.  The no key required (KMS?) method does not deploy with the same error " Windows cannot read the <ProductKey> setting from the unattend answer file." unattend.xml has an empty value for <ProductKey>.

I have tried using the recommended key (posted elsewhere in these forums) 6RH4V-HNTWC-JQKG8-RFR3R-36498 

Manually entering the key directly into unattend.xml (using AIK SIM) or by using the MDT manual deployment wizard and the key always fails to be validated by setup. Also attempted were the usual method of setting ProductKey and OverRideProductKey properties in the environment properties.

No luck.

Regards,

Danny 

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:17 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. It's not working with MDT 2010 or 2012. I've tried the same key, writing a blank value, and I even opened the Unattend.xml with a text editor and deleted the <ProductKey> entries completely. It gives me the same error every time -- "Windows cannot read the <ProductKey> setting from the unattend answer file."
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Have you tried removing all "UserData" component from Unattend.xml?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi again,

thanks all for your inputs...

I have tried averything that i could think of, everything i coud read, but nothing helped, it seems like WAIK will need an updated version to work with Win8 in MDT 2012. I guess i went too fast ont this one, i will stick to manual deploy while on Dev Preview...

...but if anyone has deployed Win8 DP with MDT 2010/2012, i'm really interested in having the miracle recipe...

thanks again to all inputs on this problem (even if it falls way beyond the scope on initial motivation of this release).

Best regards,

Pierre.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Someone in this thread claims to have gotten it to work:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/01da92d7-2e65-4feb-adc1-9e7c2d9e8b9f

Not sure yet what they did differently. I also assume it's a problem with WAIK.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Hi there...

found the answer (i think).

the WAIK is replaced with ADK : Assessment and Deployment Kit, only available for MSDN Subscriptors...

I guess it makes sense since it IS a Dev Preview...but hey guys, Devs don't do Deployment, IT Staff do it (well mainly...i know some exceptions, sure!).

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=27410

a bold move, but i sure would have love to get my hands on this info, as a MCT, ex-MVP Setup and deployment, and Technet Subscriber, I would love to be able to test the new deployment framework...

i guess i'll have to wait in line since i'm not really in the mood for an extra 780€ for a MSDN subscription only to get my hands on a soon to be free download.

First bad move on this Win8 experience, so please please DO INCLUDE THIS DOWNLOAD ON TECHNET TOO!!!!!

Best regards,

Pierre.

• Marked as answer by Pierre JOUBERT Monday, September 19, 2011 4:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pierre JOUBERT Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:55 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:16 AM
  • Solution for above error message is to remove or Disconnect "Floppy" from your Windows Virtual Machine. (Actually autoinst.flp. file contains the ProductKey & autoinst.flp is mounted when you start the VM)Power off Windows 8 Virtual Machine & Go to Virtual Machine settings & remove the Floppy
    Genesio.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Thanks Genesio,

but i meant in a physical computer deployment scenario...thanks anyway for your input.

best regards,

Pierre.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Well, just a quick post to inform you guys that i was wrong :)

I found the answer here:  MDT 2010 Update 1 Trying to Deploy Windows 8 Build and every thing is working find and as excpected with MDT 2010/2012... a big thumbs up to jpatton and the other guys who helped us sort this out, sometime when you're tired it's best to give up for the night!!!Best regards,     Pierre.

• Marked as answer by Pierre JOUBERT Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:48 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:48 PM