none
Finding streets in an area RRS feed

Answers

• there is no built in way to do this, however you can achieve this by reverse geocoding coordinates over a grid pattern. This will generate a lot of transactions and not generally recommended, but you can find a blog post on how to do this here: https://rbrundritt.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/reverse-geocoding-over-a-search-area/

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Yes, as it is the data you are licensing. The next time your device goes online the service will sync up with the reporting servers and the number of reverse geocodes that have been generated when offline. Note that Bing Maps provides 50,000 free transactions/requests a day for Windows based apps.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Transactions are counted for all usage of the app, not individual users. Transactions are recorded and detailed reports are available in the Bing Maps portal, assuming you created a Bing Maps account there and not through Azure. Bing Maps keys created through Azure currently have limited reporting functionality through Azure and for privacy reasons (i.e. sharing data between sites) are not available through the Bing Maps portal.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:41 PM
  • If you created your key in the Bing Maps portal, then transactions will show up in the reports. It may take a few days for the reports to show the transactions as it takes time for all the servers to sync up with this data.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Ah, WP8 won't show up in the portal as your don't use Bing Maps keys in WP8, you use a service token from the Windows Phone dev center.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:54 PM

All replies

• there is no built in way to do this, however you can achieve this by reverse geocoding coordinates over a grid pattern. This will generate a lot of transactions and not generally recommended, but you can find a blog post on how to do this here: https://rbrundritt.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/reverse-geocoding-over-a-search-area/

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Is reverse geocoding billable using offline maps ?

I'm currently using reverse geo on a device with no internet connection or is this because I'm still using the WP8 control ?

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:31 AM
  • Yes, as it is the data you are licensing. The next time your device goes online the service will sync up with the reporting servers and the number of reverse geocodes that have been generated when offline. Note that Bing Maps provides 50,000 free transactions/requests a day for Windows based apps.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Is that per instance of the app or cumulative transactions of all people using the app ?
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:38 AM
  • and is there any mechanism for counting transactions ?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Transactions are counted for all usage of the app, not individual users. Transactions are recorded and detailed reports are available in the Bing Maps portal, assuming you created a Bing Maps account there and not through Azure. Bing Maps keys created through Azure currently have limited reporting functionality through Azure and for privacy reasons (i.e. sharing data between sites) are not available through the Bing Maps portal.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Me again :)

I've just checked the portal and it shows no transactions at all !

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:04 PM
  • If you created your key in the Bing Maps portal, then transactions will show up in the reports. It may take a few days for the reports to show the transactions as it takes time for all the servers to sync up with this data.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:38 PM
  • I've been using the same key for over a year
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Any ideas or should I start a new thread ?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Send me an email at richbrun at Microsoft.com with your key and I'll take a look I to this when I'm back in the office on Friday.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Ah, WP8 won't show up in the portal as your don't use Bing Maps keys in WP8, you use a service token from the Windows Phone dev center.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:54 PM