Incorrect date value when open DBF file in Excel 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still using DBase4 program.  Recently I upgraded Excel 2000 to Excel 2007.  When I open a .DBF file using Excel, the date column is not converted correctly.  DBF file stores date as mm/dd/yyyy (eg. 01/11/2008).  In Excel date column, some of the cells are shown as dd/mmm/yyyy (value is 01/Nov/2008) and some cells indicate an error (value is 20080125).  The error message is 'The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe.'  I checked in format cells, the category is General and there is no apostrophe shown in formula bar too.  My system short date format is set as dd-MMM-yy.  When I changed system short date format to mm/dd/yy, the date cells is shown correctly.

Excel 2000 was able to convert these correctly which is 11/01/2008 as well as 25/01/2008 and using system short date format dd-MMM-yy.

My financial system requires short date format to be dd/mm/yyyy.  Are there any solution without changing system date to mm/dd/yyyy?  Please help.  Thanks.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting "Innovate on Office" forum, but this is not the right place to post your request, as we provide support on advisory issues. Basically  we address "How-to" questions and this is a trouble shooting issue.  
    Depending upon your partner level, you have the following three options.
    - Purchase an incident pack. Please contact the main-stream support team of OneNote in Microsoft.
      OR
    - Use one of the incidents available to you.
      OR
    - Visit https://partner.microsoft.com/global/supportsecurity/technicalsupport/40014662

Thanks,

Uday

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:46 PM