How to consume .asmx webservice in PCL?

Question

• i have to develop an windows 8.1 app for Phone and tablet both, i am trying to consume traditional webservices(.asmx) in PCL , i am not able to get the methods exposed by the service.

Also i am not able to see the option while adding the references in advanced tab to add web reference.

Please do let me know how this can be achieved.

Regards,

Subramanyam

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Subramanyam,

There is no option for us to add asmx webservice to PCL in universal development. I would recommend you try to use REST service and Windows.Web.Http namespace for REST.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 7:53 AM

All replies

• It seems that you are trying to use some binding in WCF that is not supported by platform; that is why methods are not generated in proxy. Refer Accessing WCF Services with a Windows Store Client App where it describes what all is supported.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Hi Vishal,

I am not using WCF services, i have traditional (.asmx) web services and i want to consume them in my portable classes.

I want to reference the webservice(.asmx) in my portable class libraries which are consumed by windows UI project. Please let me know if there any way.

Regards,

Subramanyam

Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:16 AM
  • Hi Subramanyam,

There is no option for us to add asmx webservice to PCL in universal development. I would recommend you try to use REST service and Windows.Web.Http namespace for REST.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 7:53 AM