none
Local Area Network Status RRS feed

• Question

• This is the same question I asked in a .NET forum by mistake.... I'm using WIN32.

If there anyway to open the "Local Area Network Status" dialog programmatically? This is the dialog which opens in XP when you double left click on the network icon in the notification tray or on a device in Network Connections. I searched the web and MSDN completely without results.

I do not want control of this dialog, but just to open it with the relevent information displayed for a particular interface..

I do believe it is somewhere in netshell.dll, maybe the RaiseSupportDialog, since the ICONS and simular dialogs exist within it, but I am not sure. The ability to open this dialog should have been included inside the IP Helper API which includes most of the functions needed.

If I can not open this dialog (propertysheet), I will have to try and duplicate it and it's functionality manually. I can do this, but why, when its available already?

Any one have the answer? Maybe even the Microsoft Developers can release the dll, function name and syntax of this seemingly trade secret.

Thanks

Mark...

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• I dont see any direct way to do this, but you can always write code to fetch & set those parameters using Win32 IPHelper APIs.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Krishnaa .

I do know I can implement most of this information in my own PropertySheet dialog, and I have one almost built now. There is no way to implement full functionality this way like the changes in the General tab when different interfaces are being observerved such as Lan or Wlan. Also not being able to bring up the 'Local Area Network Properties' dialog by pressing the 'Properties' button. If I can figure out how to mimic the Properties button and bring this dialog up, I'll abandon looking for the original dialog function call and params. Otherwise it will be back to reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

The question has been asked many times in the past, how to programmatically bring up the 'Local Area Network Status', but was never answered. There is no reason I can think of why this functionality is not available to us developers since it is already easily available to the users within a few mouse-clicks.

Thanks

Mark...

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:37 PM
  • Yes, I agree that it should have been documented, but unfortunatly it is not.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:13 AM