Can't get PowerPivot to load tables from ODBC database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I installed PowerPivot for Excel 2010 32-bit running on a 32-bit Windows 7 computer.

I was able to connect with the ODBC database that holds our program information, but the wizard isn't able to load the tables from the database to PowerPivot. Any suggestions? NOT sophisticated with query language....

-Mike Feinerman

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:02 PM

Answers

• Are you getting any errors? Please share them in full if yes.

What is the source database (product and version)?

Are you able to load data through an ODBC connection with another client, or are you able to load data directly into an excel sheet using the same connection string?

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:28 PM

All replies

• Are you getting any errors? Please share them in full if yes.

What is the source database (product and version)?

Are you able to load data through an ODBC connection with another client, or are you able to load data directly into an excel sheet using the same connection string?

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:28 PM
  • Thanks Greg; 

When I use the wizard to add the tables from the database I get an error message saying, 

"No tables were found in the data source. Check the connection information and login credentials." I have of course checked and re-checked the login credentials."

I am connecting to a database called Penelope from Athena Software, a Toronto-based company. They installed a connection on my computer that is specific to Excel 2013 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit.

I have been able to load data directly into the excel sheet using the Data tab on Excel. I was able to open a query by a convoluted process but I have to do that by trial and error and I'm frustrated because I can't understand why PowerPivot won't work. I suspect it's because when I downloaded PowerPivot it seemed that there was no longer a version specific to Excel 2010 and the version I have is actually for SQL server 2012. I'm wondering if I might be better off removing 2010 and installing 2013, for which there is a specific PowerPivot version. I can then get the company to configure my connection for that version - might be the most elegant solution but if you have one that is less complicated I'd love to hear it. Thanks again,

-Mike Feinerman

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 8:44 PM
  • Any suggestions for Mike?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:28 AM
  • Mike, is this still a problem?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:00 AM