The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client RRS feed

• Question

• User86982550 posted

I am having the error stated above. The stack trace is as follows:

[OracleException: The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client]
       Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleInit.Initialize() +550
       Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection..cctor() +518

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection' threw an exception.]
       Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection..ctor() +51
       InputForm.SelectRegion() +123
       InputForm.Initialize() +952
       InputForm.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +53
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3048

Some info's:

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2

.NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1
    Oracle.DataAccess, Version=1.102.3.0

Dev Computer: Windows Vista Business 32bit

.NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1
    Oracle.DataAccess, Version=1.102.3.0

My Code:

OracleConnection cn;
    String con1 = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["myConnectionString"].ToString();
    cn = new OracleConnection();
    cn.ConnectionString = con1;
    cn.Open();

string mysql = "select region_code, 'Region ' || reg_rom " +
                    "as region_name from pro_lib " +
                    "where reg_rom is not NULL " +
                    "order by sort_order";
    OracleCommand cmd = new OracleCommand(mysql, cn);
    cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

I have checked all forums and posts regarding this error. They mention that there are 2 versions of Oracle.DataAccess.Client on the server, I only have 1 version. This runs on VS2010, but when I publish the website the error above shows up. I checked my Oracle connection from the installer and connection test passed. I tried uninstalling Oracle and reinstall, but still the same. The query above I tried changing to 'select region_code, reg_rom, ...', still the same error... please HELP ME!!!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 4:54 AM

Answers

• User-499414405 posted

We have the same problem in our company.

No matter what we try, we always get "The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client.".

The application works on 32-bit Windows XP on my workstation and on 64-bit Windows Server 2008 on a test server. But on the Windows Server 2008 R2 production machine we always get this error. We are using Oracle 11g with Oracle.DataAccess 2.111.6.20.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 4:03 AM
  • User86982550 posted

Hello,

I unistalled and reinstalled VS2010 and Oracle Client 11g. It is now working on my workstation and local IIS. When I publish the web application to the 64bit server, I get a new error "Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

Base on another forum, I just:

Open Server Manager
    Open IIS snap-in
    Click on “application Pools”
    From the list pane click ASP.NET v4.0 or the application pool used by your site
    In the right-hand pane click “Advanced Settings…”
    In the window Advanced Settings, set “Enable 32-bit Applications” to True
    Click “OK”

Thanks to all who answered and helped me.
    More POWER to you all.

JunReyes

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:28 AM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

What version of Oracle are you running?

I always put my Oracle.DataAccess.dll in my project website BIN folder,

reference the DLL locally,

so it goes with my website when it moves from DEV to Production server.

Altenatively, you can use the System.Data.OracleClient provided by ASP.NET,

which works with many Oracle Clients installed on the web server.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:23 PM
  • User86982550 posted

I am using Oracle 10g.

I followed your instructions and copied the .dll file to the Bin folder. I rebuilt the website and publish it to the server. Still I get the same error. Though there are no errors running it on VS2010 or on localhost IIS (my workstation).

I tried using debug mode, and execute line per line. The problem is always on the OracleConnection line, this is before the line setting the connectionstring.

Please help... Cry

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:32 AM
  • User269602965 posted

Need more details.

Are you running IIS with website and the database on the same server in production?

Or do you have a database server and an IIS server?

Oracle.DataAcces client for Oracle 10g 201 should be:

version 2.111.6.20

I would upgrade your ODAC components to at least that version on both dev and prod.

THere is both a client install and a database install.  You will have to read the instructions from Oracle,

but it is an easy upgrade.

And

please send us your connection section from web.config (of course replace password with {password}).

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:38 PM
  • User-499414405 posted

We have the same problem in our company.

No matter what we try, we always get "The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client.".

The application works on 32-bit Windows XP on my workstation and on 64-bit Windows Server 2008 on a test server. But on the Windows Server 2008 R2 production machine we always get this error. We are using Oracle 11g with Oracle.DataAccess 2.111.6.20.

Friday, September 10, 2010 4:03 AM
  • User86982550 posted

It looks like I'm getting the error using the 'OracleConnection'. Jgosar is right, it works on my workstation Vista 32-bit, but never on the Windows Server 2008 R2. Somehow in a 32-bit or on a Windows Server 2008 not R2 it lets the 'System.ArgumentException' pass allowing the page to display. But on an R2 server it strictly stops the page from displaying and throws in the error.

When I execute my code in debug mode, I place a breakpoint on the line below.

OracleConnection cn = new OracleConnection();   // place breakpoint here.

I expand the popup menus and when I place the mouse cursor on OracleConnection.

Error in:
    ExternalContextConnetion = 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection.ExternalContextConnection' threw an exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' 

There might be a bug on the Oracle driver itself.

Hope the Oracle teams see this post.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:44 PM
  • User269602965 posted

WIndows 2008 has two-way firewall.

Did you open INBOUND firewall (create rule) for your Oracle listener TCP IP:port?

The default listener is port 1521,

but of course, port can be changed on installation configuration ( a recommended security practice as well).

++++++

If IIS and Oracle DB are on the same Win2008 server,

the Windows installation guide states Oracle should be installed on a static IP using Loopback Adapter

Virtual Lan with all over network devices disabled at time of the installation.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:43 PM
  • User86982550 posted

Hello,

I am not familiar with INBOUND firewall on a Windows Server 2008 64-bit, how do I create a rule to let Oracle Connection thru?

Can you provide me some instructions or URL to guide me, thanks!

JunReyes

Monday, October 4, 2010 8:39 PM
  • User86982550 posted

Here is my connection string.

<connectionStrings>
      <add name="connXXXXX" connectionString="DATA SOURCE=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=172.21.1.22)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=XXXXX)));User ID={username};Password={password}" providerName="Oracle.DataAccess.Client"/>
     </connectionStrings>

I really think there's no problem here. My previous post's:

When I execute my code in debug mode, I place a breakpoint on the line below.

OracleConnection cn = new OracleConnection();   // place breakpoint here.

It has not yet called the connection string. Why is it throwing a System.ArgumentException?

Please help, I may not have re-posted earlier but please Help Me!!!

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:17 AM
  • User-1934197998 posted

Hi junreyes,

Make sure that you compile with the right library i.e. x86 with an x86 Oracle library. I had the same problem launching my application after i to compiled my app to ANYCPU while using a x86 Oracle library on an x64 machine. I set the compile to x86 ... and pronto, the problem was resolved.

Regard

Jacques

Friday, October 8, 2010 8:24 AM
  • User86982550 posted

Jacques,

My workstation is an x86 so I am using the 32-bit. The OracleConnection throws the error but my local IIS continues displaying the page bypassing the thrown exception.  And if I throw the webpage on the server, it quits the page due to the said System.ArgumentException.

This is really driving me Nuts.

Hope you have other suggestions.

Have you any luck jgosar? If you tried other means, I'd like to try them if its ok with you...

Thanks,

JunReyes Foot in mouth

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:30 AM
  • User-1934197998 posted

If your server is running on windows x64, I still suggest forcing your compiler to x86 mode as the version of the Oracle dll is most probably x86 and as the connection initialization takes place on the server side, and it will cause the listed error. The only time i've gotten this type of error with Oracle connections has been when I was compiling to the wrong cpu type.

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:36 AM
  • User86982550 posted

I am still on my workstation which is a 32bit x86 machine, naturally when I compile it is an x86 web application. On my IIS workstation the error is captured only in debug mode but the web continues and displays.

So you mean I need to compile the application to x64 to be able to run it on the Windows x64 server. My Configuration Manager only displays Any CPU, it does not have x86 nor x64. How do I get or set to x86 or x64?

Kindly be patient on me.

Thanks!

JunReyes

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:31 AM
  • User235819572 posted

It looks like you're running this in .NET 4. Sorry if this is offbase, but starting with .NET 4, Microsoft doesn't include their Oracle provider with Visual Studio. Could there be some sort of conflict with that? With .NET 4, you have to install Oracle's Visual Studio developer tools (ODT) in order to get the native .NET 4 OracleClient classes. Are you able to get that installed on the Oracle server?

U-H

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:40 PM
  • User-1934197998 posted

HI Junreyes,

Naturally if you are using a x86 machine, with an x86 dll you will not have any issues. So I suggest that you look at getting the x64 version of the Oracle.DataAccess.dll library for running the interface on your web server, just add that library as a reference, and that should resolve your issues when running the web app on your server, but it does mean that you may have to swap between libraries when diagnosing problems on your local IIS instance on you desktop. I just checked and unfortunately, in a web application it seems you cannot set the x86 or x64 setting.  I am including a link to the Oracle x64 client that has the x64 version of the Oracle.DataAccess.dll.

Here is the link : 

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/111070-win64-2008soft-084715.html

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:08 AM
  • User86982550 posted

Hello,

I unistalled and reinstalled VS2010 and Oracle Client 11g. It is now working on my workstation and local IIS. When I publish the web application to the 64bit server, I get a new error "Could not load file or assembly 'Oracle.DataAccess' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

Base on another forum, I just:

Open Server Manager
    Open IIS snap-in
    Click “OK”

Thanks to all who answered and helped me.
    More POWER to you all.

JunReyes

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:28 AM
  • User-1934197998 posted

Glad we could be of assistance....

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:42 AM
  • User86982550 posted

Yes, thanks a million... 

Note and Tips for others:

1. Check the OracleClient that you are referencing in Visual Studio, this should match the one you are to reference in your server.

2. You can also place the Oracle.DataAccess.dll in the bin folder of your application and reference it there. When you publish the page if would be carried to the server. Still you will need to install OracleClient on your target server.

3. The error "The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client" should not worry you. Try to check the version of the OracleClient in your GAC. It should match the one you referenced and is similar in version set in your web.config.

Your GAC is located in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET, for 32bit there should be a GAC_32 and for 64bit  there should be a GAC_64. Again the version of OracleClient should be similar set in your web.config.

If you are in a 64bit server, follow this settings: (OracleClient runs as a 32bit)

Open Server Manager
    Open IIS snap-in
    Click “OK"

I have learned a lot from the fellows who helped me. Hope this tip would help others in similar situation.

JunReyes :)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:15 PM
  • User-1250657344 posted

I am experiencing this same problem. Please help.

All runs fine on my PC. I have VS2010 with Oracle client 11r2 installed (32 bit). Supposedly the same client was installed on the web server 3 years ago (11r1). Oracle.DataAccess.dll is version 4.112.2.0.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:30 AM
  • User-2103114970 posted

Download below Zip file  and install it will work

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html

ODTwithODAC112030.zip

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:58 AM