[OleDbException (0x80004005): Unrecognized database format RRS feed

• Question

• I'm at my wits end on this issue and I hope someone can help.  First I'm using ExpressionWeb 4 along with Access 2010 and I'm trying to use grid view on a .aspx page to view the data results, with the access database control.  I have had my host upgrade my site to asp.net 4.0 and have the microsoft office data connectivity also loaded.  I also have both of them on my computer.

My issue is I updated my database then uploaded it and now I get the error in the title.  I did not change my web config file or anything else.  I can use preview and my grid view page works perfect, with sorting and everything.  I can also open the access database live and it seems to be OK, with no errors.  I put the full error below.  Any ideas what can be going on?  I have been working with my web host and they say its on my side, but I have trouble believing that when my preview works perfectly.

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Unrecognized database format 'd:\mobileimagery.com\Database\CAM2.accdb'.]
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection) +337
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +86
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +31
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +76
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +126
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +43
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +123
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +319
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +92
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1618
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.AccessDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +76
    System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +21
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +4
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +66
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +75
    System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
    System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
    System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
    System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

Monday, November 8, 2010 12:17 AM

Answers

• It may have quit working because your host may have moved your site to a new server. Happens all the time as they upgrade equipment; it's usually invisible to the website owner, but occassionally there are glitches.

And, no, they definitely do not warn you when they are about to do it, as many people have discovered when they find suddenly that the FPSEs no longer work because their site is on a new, incompatible server.

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    • Marked as answer by Landshark Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:10 AM

All replies

• The obvious question: Does your host support using the Access accdb format?  The error would seem to indicate not.  Ask.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Kathy

Thanks for the quick response.  How would I double check that and what exactly would they need to have?  Also how can you tell that by the error above?  When I first started this process it did work on the host server, it only changed when I uploaded a updated database.

I will need to advise my host exactly what they need to have.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:03 AM
  • "Also how can you tell that by the error above?" 

Read the error: "Unrecognized database format 'd:\mobileimagery.com\Database\CAM2.accdb'"

"How would I double check that "

As I said, ask them.  Only your host can tell you if they support the .accdb format.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Landshark, although Access 2007 was released over three years ago, it is still not supported by the majority of providers, if what we encounter here is any guide. (I have no hard statistics). We have had more than a few people come here who have tried to use accdb on their providers, only to learn that it was not supported by their providers.

Given the error message, it seems to appear that the database management system doesn't recognize the file format. The only way to know for sure is to simply open a support ticket and ask the straightforward question. Yes or no is all you need.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:02 AM

• Ahh well that's the trouble with being on the bleeding edge. My bet is that if you Save As (if you can) in format  of Access 2003 all will be well. But I'm just guessing.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    MyNumbersTracker.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Thanks for the responses, my only last question as above, why did it work for me for a short period of time? Is it because of the microsoft office connectivity tools not loaded for some reason?

Kathy can you be any more rude!  I'm working on a issue and trying to understand the errors and how to resolve them. I apologize for my stupidity. Thank you for the information.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:39 PM
  • My response was not rude.  You asked a question, I answered it.

As for why did it work before ...  You are getting an error that says .accdb is not recognized.   There is no way for us to know what changed if it was recognized before.  Again, your first step is to ask your host.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:57 PM
  • It may have quit working because your host may have moved your site to a new server. Happens all the time as they upgrade equipment; it's usually invisible to the website owner, but occassionally there are glitches.

And, no, they definitely do not warn you when they are about to do it, as many people have discovered when they find suddenly that the FPSEs no longer work because their site is on a new, incompatible server.

Silence is Golden. Duct tape is Silver.
    • Marked as answer by Landshark Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Thanks Bill

I thought the exact same thing and I'm having the host check into it as we speak.  I will update this when I find out the issue.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Bill, it depens on the host. Good ones will warn you when they are doing a server migration but the low-end cheap hosting most use doesn't so you could well be correct or something could have gotten messed up on the server. Whatever it is the host is the one to talk to about the error since it is definitely a server issue.

I haven't used an Access database on the web in a long time and if I did I'd use the older mdb format since it has better support on web hosting but I've seen that error message on the older file format when the database didn't have write permissions on the server. - Just a thought.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums

• Edited by Cheryl D Wise Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:24 AM added more info
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:22 AM